Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizzas on the Mini Egg

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited July 2019 in EggHead Forum

Friday night was pizza night and Duke says he wants Friday night to be pizza night from now on. I had made the 48-72 hour pizza dough from Elements of pizza earlier in the week, but still had one dough ball left over. I had asked about how much dough I would need for an 8-8.5" pizza so I could cook it on the mini. Answers were cut it in half or use 137g. Turns out half was about 137 anyway (I don't remember the exact weight, I've had a few and slept since then). Got the Mini up to 550 using the rig from Ceramic Grill store and two pizza stones. First up was Duke's pizza. He went with pepperoni and black olives.

Didn't get a pic of his done. Think I went about 10 minutes. Then I did mine. Classic margherita pizza.

Bottom shot

Pizza didn't brown up as much as I'd like on top, but the bottom looked great and the taste was amazing. Mini pizza was about the perfect size for me. Duke ate 3/4 of his so that worked out well. And it was fun cooking on the Mini that seems to get overlooked much of the time. Need to use it more.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Apparantly Mini Pizza cooks don't get much love either.lol
    Looks great. Surprised you are not getting more color on the top crust but the bottom crust looks perfect. Won't be long and the kid will be cooking his own pies on the Mini!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Nice work with the mini!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nice cook Jason!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Very nice pies Grif.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2019
    I’m with Darian why no top color. Bottom will burn if left much longer?
    The top was closed the whole time: correct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Love seeing mini cooks!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    so nice, I like

We go thru pizza in spurts in the BGE.
    This post gets us spurting, again...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Love this! I have the same setup for my mini but have never done pizzas. Bookmarked so I can give it a shot. Thanks!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Nice! Wish my friend @Double Bogey can chime in. One year at Pittsburgh egg fest he and V. were cranking out great pies all day on the Mini.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    have never done a regular pie on the mini, nicely done.  ive got some small english pot pie tins though, the mini is a machine at deepdish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Mickey said:

I honestly don't know. New dough recipe. Maybe the Egg needs to be hotter. I only opened it around 4 minutes to slide it off the parchment paper and give it a 90 degree turn. I think the bottom would have started to burn had it gone much longer.

Rowlett, Texas

• Photo Egg
    Griffin said:
    Mickey said:

I honestly don't know. New dough recipe. Maybe the Egg needs to be hotter. I only opened it around 4 minutes to slide it off the parchment paper and give it a 90 degree turn. I think the bottom would have started to burn had it gone much longer.
    The Mini is such a small cooker. The ideal situation would be to have the hot air come around the lower indirect piece and into the dome to create a higher heat in the dome to cook the pie more from the top. With the mini it's really not possible to have a larger lower indirect stone and a smaller cooking stone. This means a lot of heat comes around lower stone and into the bottom of the cooking stone, resulting in bottom crust cooking faster than toppings.
    Bottom line, in your case, it's mostly a visual thing as your pies are puffing and cooking perfect. A little brush with melted butter around the outer crust before cooking would probably give you a nice color. Adding a little garlic salt to the butter might be a killer touch.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    How about par baking the shell, flip over, add toppings on what was the bottom, finish baking.  In other words, give the top crust a head start. 

canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    How about par baking the shell, flip over, add toppings on what was the bottom, finish baking.  In other words, give the top crust a head start. 

That's such a PIA and you loose the nice rise in the crust.IMO
    Great way to do it in a gasser when you have no other choice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Photo Egg said:

That's such a PIA and you loose the nice rise in the crust.IMO
    Great way to do it in a gasser when you have no other choice.
    Duh, you’re right, I learned this in a gasser class. Ignore what I said☺️
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    @Photo_Egg just this morning I was thinking about brushing the crust with melted butter on the next round. I'll give it a try.

Rowlett, Texas