Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2x Turbo Butt

Options
wardo
wardo Posts: 398
Well it's been over 100 on the heat index here since about 11am so I figured I'd sweat it out a bit.  Put my daughters new playset together and decided to try 2 butts on the egg.  I want to get better at cooking larger amounts of protein on this thing.  Our church does some big cookouts a few times a year and I'm hoping to contribute with some egged butts.  Onto the cook...
Picked up 2 good looking shoulders on sale at publix and rubbed them down with my rub.  These are bone in and weighed in at 6.6lbs.  I trim a good bit of the fat cap off personally and have really enjoyed the results lately.  I've added some cayenne and ground mustard this time.

So they fit over the drip pan barely and didn't get over the opening between the platesetter and fire ring.  I used cherry and pecan chunks.

This was the first opening when they got to about 176IT.

They seem to be cooking a little slower than just one.  The temp has floated between 320 and 390 but has been pretty close to 350 most of the afternoon.  The left one is reading almost 192 so I'm gonna start probing soon to check for done-ness.  More to come, but I'm not sure how to fit more butts on here without them getting exposed to undue heat (either raised grid or over the gap by the platesetter).
NC - LBGE

Comments

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    Looks good . I did a turbo butt today , just came off .  Will never go back to super low and slow with the butts.  Haven’t tried turbo ribs get tho 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• wardo
    Options
    Looks good . I did a turbo butt today , just came off .  Will never go back to super low and slow with the butts.  Haven’t tried turbo ribs get tho 
    I think you'll love turbo ribs too.  Seems like both ways will get you a great result though!
    NC - LBGE
  • wardo
    Options
    Here's one of the shoulders right after it came off the grill.  The 2nd was about 30 to 45min behind and looked the same.  The rub was a big hit and the time to finish both of these was notably higher than just one butt.  I'm curious if that'll hold true when cooking 4 of these.

NC - LBGE
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Looks good.  
  • keithinlouisiana
    Options
    Makes my mouth water just looking at it. Looks like you might get 3 over the platesetter but not 4 unless they are smaller. 
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I think my next cook I'm going try turning butts. What was the cook time on then?
  • wardo
    Options
    The left on took darn close to 5hrs which I expected.  IT on it in the very middle was 198.  Probed perfect.

The right one took 90min longer, so 6.5hrs.  I used kamado Joe lump for thr first time on this cook and it burnt nearly all the way down.  Had enough to maintain 325 to 350 for another couple of hrs, but after that it was basically empty!
    NC - LBGE