Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket and Can?

Options
Does anyone use a Kick Ash Basket and Can?  Would it be worth getting these to make clean up easier?
Plano, TX - L BGE

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    For me, big yes.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    KAB, yes, on every egg I have.  Wish they made one for the mini.  The can?  Not yet, but I probably will.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Every BGE or KJ I sell has a basket in it.......single best improvement you can make to an egg.  That's why we stopped producing the fire grates, KAB was a better product.

Love the can too--I used to put off cleaning out the ash until I could barely bore a hole through it anymore.  Now it's takes about 5 seconds to lift that out and fling the ash into the yard.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Both products are worth it.  The can has really improved clean up.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • WJunebug
    WJunebug Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks, all!  I've been trying to decide; guess I'll have to invest in the KAB and KAC.  
    Plano, TX - L BGE
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I’m my opinion the can and basket should be included with every egg purchase. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    My old KAB is on it’s last leg after 4-5yrs. I’ll be ordering another one and the can. This is for my medium. I’d never even consider either product for my XL. 
  • lightningQ
    lightningQ Posts: 38
    Options
    got both in my large, just ordered both for the mini max.  

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Got the KAB and love it. Waiting for them to offer the can for my medium BGE so that I can get that too. If/when I get another (probably a large) BGE, I'll get both for it immediately as well as get the woo ring (with stone and pan) from CGS. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Hotwingking
    Hotwingking Posts: 279
    Options
    I just got both the can and the basket, clean up is definitely easier. I highly recommend. 
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Just got the can...clean up was a lot easier and quicker. Two thumbs up! I have had a basket (not KAB) for almost a year and am happy with that, as well.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I use both and really like them.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    I've had a KAB for my XL and MM for a few years now, but this is the first time I've heard of the Can.  I remember when I got my KAB for the XL it was a directive to leave the fire grate in the XL and place the KAB on top of it.  I guess that isn't the case anymore???  Am I correct?  So now the KAB sits on top of the Can?
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Kelso said:
    I've had a KAB for my XL and MM for a few years now, but this is the first time I've heard of the Can.  I remember when I got my KAB for the XL it was a directive to leave the fire grate in the XL and place the KAB on top of it.  I guess that isn't the case anymore???  Am I correct?  So now the KAB sits on top of the Can?
    You can do either way, but if quick clean up is the the goal, you're going to want to take that sewer plate out.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Kelso said:
    You can do either way, but if quick clean up is the the goal, you're going to want to take that sewer plate out.
    Do you really need quick cleanup on an egg that will hold the ash from 40lbs of lump? 

The XL is a stir and go egg in my opinion. 
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Kelso said:
    Do you really need quick cleanup on an egg that will hold the ash from 40lbs of lump? 

The XL is a stir and go egg in my opinion. 
    True.  Currently I only clear the ashes if I'm about to do a long low n' slow.  I have an ash vacuum that makes quick work of the ashes.  But the can might be nice for the MiniMax.
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • griller
    Options
    I feel like a real dunce!  I have a Kick Ass Basket, BUT, I've never heard of a Can.  WHAT IS IT?

• griller
    Options

WOOPS!  I mean a Kick Ash Basket....SORRY!
  • griller
    Options
    To supplement my former question re. Kick Ass Basket and CAN, I CHECKED Amazon a few minutes ago and found nothing in connection with the CAN.  Where can I get the CAN?  When I bought the basket nothing was mentioned about the can so I did nothing then.
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    https://www.kickashbasket.com/Large-Kick-Ash-Can_p_27.html

I ordered mine from KAB. Good price and good service!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Just started using a Can on my Large a couple weeks ago.  Can't seem to grab it with my gloves on, need to hit it with a hammer or something to make a grab-able dent.  
    I was surprised to see folks had a KAC for their other-sized eggs, followed the link posted by @SmokeyLopey, and it looks like they make a KAC for every single Egg, except my Small.  
    Of course.  Story of my life.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 1911Man
    Options
    @Botch I've not had any issue grabbing the KAC with gloves on (those that came with the order). I typically just reach in (after I remove the KAB) and grab it by the lip around the opening. I will say that if you don't have a brush to use to move the ash into the can, get one. It makes things easier that way. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    1911Man said:
    @Botch I've not had any issue grabbing the KAC with gloves on (those that came with the order). I typically just reach in (after I remove the KAB) and grab it by the lip around the opening. I will say that if you don't have a brush to use to move the ash into the can, get one. It makes things easier that way. ;)
    The upper lip on my can doesn't extend into the ceramic hole (now there's a sentence I never expected to write!), but you just made me think to try pushing down on the top flange, over the ceramic hole, to see if the top edge of the hole can be grabbed; will try this, this weekend.  Thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 1911Man
    Options
    Botch said:
    1911Man said:
    The upper lip on my can doesn't extend into the ceramic hole (now there's a sentence I never expected to write!), but you just made me think to try pushing down on the top flange, over the ceramic hole, to see if the top edge of the hole can be grabbed; will try this, this weekend.  Thanks!  
    There's enough of a lip for me to put my hand under (inside the hole :open_mouth:) to use to pull it back and out. Didn't take all that much thought to figure this out when I first placed it into the BGE. 

What size egg are you running this in??