Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want new Hinge assembly

Options
Bought my Large green egg in 2011 and need new hinge assembly and brackets. Will the newest hinge assembly work with old egg

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Yes.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you just want the brackets you can buy a new handle assembly which now includes the tabs. If you have alignment issues then the whole hinge is the way to go. 
  • mickstephen
    Options
    I just installed a new hinge/band assembly on my 2011-ish BGE. It was WAY easier than the old style, and feels much more solid. Just follow the instructions and you’ll get it done. 
  • Bumm39
    Bumm39 Posts: 60
    Options
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2019
    Options
    So I just upgraded bands to new model  - love the new feel & look!  Also that handle oh my gawd.  Also Consider getting new Rutland gasket @rrp at the same time since that project much easier to do when tops off. If you are into that sort of thing. Finally, a new thermometer which, I guess, BGE just dropped price on.  My 9 yr old egg looking new!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Tracebuzta
    Tracebuzta Posts: 23
    Options
    Need a new set for the Mini i just bought... 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I agree with @NDG I just replaced the hinge on my '08 Egg and went ahead and replaced the gasket with @RRP gasket while I had the thing apart.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    The new hinge has been on my radar for awhile.  My '07 vintage large has original hinge and it is still serviceable but, the hinge bolts and holes have worn over time and are sloppy.  Plus alignment needs adjusted every 6 months or so.

Couple questions on the new hinge design:
    - does it indeed eliminate periodic need for realignment?

- will my Egg Mates fit on the new lower band without any modifications?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I did new hinge and gaskets on the XL and L late '18 early '19.  Soo much better!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    I recently upgraded my '09 large.  My gasket was an 8 year old High-Que one, so I replaced it at the same time.  I also replaced my grill grate with a Smokeworks Stainless one.  Feels like a new egg!  My only regret is the relatively new Mahogany Handle and Weber Grill light from the old (small) handle don't work with the new hinge.
  • Mikeyice
    Mikeyice Posts: 18
    Options
    I am getting mine replaced via BGE warranty. Should be here next week. The back of my egg was severely unsealed. Huge gap. Replacing with no fuss.