Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good tangy bbq sauce

Options
Anyone want to share a recipe for a good tangy bbq sauce?

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Gmnorris74
    Gmnorris74 Posts: 23
    edited July 2019
    Options
    LBGE 2019, North Carolina
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    "Good tangy bbq sauce" is mighty vague, given that comparing a vinegar-based NC sauce for pulled pork, a mustard-based SC sauce, a white BBQ sauce, and the huge variety of tomatoey BBQ sauces is like apples and oranges.  But even though I often like pork ribs dry, when I put a sauce on them, every time I make the "Bour-BQ Sauce" from Smoke & Spice I think it's so good it ought to be illegal.  I began a discussion back in 2015 and someone else posted the actual recipe (you may have to scroll the page to find it).  I love it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    For a great homemade sauce this is hard to beat!

Happy Pappy Sauce

A delightful BBQ sauce created by the late Ken StoneakaBlue Smoke

This sauce is on the hot side plus is more in the Carolinas preference due to the vinegar vs. the sweetness more common in the South.

Full Batch                   1/3rdBatch

brown sugar                24 ounces                    8 ounces

catsup                                     72 ounces                    24 ounces

chili, crushed               2 cups                         2/3 cup (1/2 c is better)

vinegar, cider               48 ounces                    16 ounces

garlic                            18 cloves crushed        6 cloves crushed

ginger, powdered         6 tablespoons              2 tablespoons

lemon juice                  18 ounces                    6 ounces

liquid smoke                6 teaspoons                 2 teaspoons

mustard, yellow          18 tablespoons                        6 tablespoons

vegetable oil                18 ounces                    6 ounces

Worcestershire            18 ounces                    6 ounces

Combine all ingredients, stirring as needed.  Heat to 185 degrees and hold there 

for five minutes.  Bottle.

1/3 Batch makes about 3.5 pints of finished sauce.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    And here is one that is hard to beat!!! BTW for you eggers in TX the commercial sauce sold as Red Mudd tastes quite a bit the same as this recipe.

J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ Sauce Recipe

Mike Flaherty - March 30, 2001

Yes, we have (all sorts of) real BBQ in Seattle. An eclectic mix of folks from lots of different places. In the 80's there was a tiny place up on Cherry St (!), called J.K's Wild Boar Soul BBQ. You had to watch out for the needles on the sidewalk, dark little room with years of smoke on it, you'd order a pile of meat, and get a side of incredible beans, and 2 slices of white bread wrapped in foil. And change for the pop machine if you needed it. The proprietors name was Beal, I believe. As I recall, a retired navy cook and utter BBQ maestro. His sauce was spectacular, and he's also use that sauce as a base for his beans. 

When Beal quit in the mid 80's, I thought my life was over. There was no other BBQ that even came close here. And it was the sauce that shone. 

So the other night, I'm at a guy's house, downing marguerites and sampling various hot sauces, and he says "Try this!" I immediately knew what it was..... Beals sauce! Amazing. This guy had eaten at the wild boar every week for years. He and his wife would bring in their attempts to duplicate the sauce, and after months of trying, Mr. Beal took pity on them and finally gave them his recipe. 

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY try this. I believe that it's an inspired compendium of common ingredients, whose sum is infinitely greater than its individual components. 

This would even be good on vanilla ice cream!     

THE RECIPE:

This is a "1/2" recipe, and makes 2 quarts. 

Mix in big pot over low heat 

1/6 cup salt
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 heaping cup packed brown sugar
    1 cup beef bouillon strong (RRP here…I use a cup of Swanson Beef Broth plus 1                     Wyler’s Beef bouillon cube) 
    6 Cups H20 

When sugars dissolve, add 

1 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup Wrights liquid smoke. Yes, that's right! 
    1 Cup Worcestershire
    3  6 oz cans tomato paste
    2 TBS Kitchen Bouquet to darken 

Chili Powder (the real thing), cayenne, Daves, whatever to add heat. Hatch ground chile is my favorite. I might try adding baby schezuan peppers or chili pequins next time. I also like to make a not too hot sauce, and serve with lots of sliced fresh jalapeno.  (RRP here…I just use 1 tea of chipotle and 2 TBS of chili powder)

Simmer bubbling slowly for 2 hours.... will reduce by 1/3 and darken.  (RRP here…my experience is it never reduces that much, but more like 1”. Just be sure to stir from time to time! )

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    RRP said:
    For a great homemade sauce this is hard to beat!

Happy Pappy Sauce

A delightful BBQ sauce created by the late Ken StoneakaBlue Smoke

This sauce is on the hot side plus is more in the Carolinas preference due to the vinegar vs. the sweetness more common in the South.

Full Batch                   1/3rdBatch

brown sugar                24 ounces                    8 ounces

catsup                                     72 ounces                    24 ounces

chili, crushed               2 cups                         2/3 cup (1/2 c is better)

vinegar, cider               48 ounces                    16 ounces

garlic                            18 cloves crushed        6 cloves crushed

ginger, powdered         6 tablespoons              2 tablespoons

lemon juice                  18 ounces                    6 ounces

liquid smoke                6 teaspoons                 2 teaspoons

mustard, yellow          18 tablespoons                        6 tablespoons

vegetable oil                18 ounces                    6 ounces

Worcestershire            18 ounces                    6 ounces

Combine all ingredients, stirring as needed.  Heat to 185 degrees and hold there 

for five minutes.  Bottle.

1/3 Batch makes about 3.5 pints of finished sauce.

kens recipe has been hanging on my wall long enough, i need to make up a batch.  might try canning it with the sous vide in small jars. not a fan of brushing it on ribs in the egg but like to pour some in a plate and drag the sides of the ribs thru it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it