Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block Squid and Shrimp

Options
On a whim, decided to do squid rounds and shrimp with a side of grilled salad. Employed a Himalayan salt block (for the first time).

First the veggies.....

Then the protein.....

Quick mint and cilantro sauce in the Vitamix.

On to plating (apologies in advance for the utensils).....

Very edible indeed. 

Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Not a big squid fan here, but that looks really terrific.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,303
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Not a big squid fan here, but that looks really terrific.
    Thanks!

I generally like it, but didn’t know what to expect, as this was my first time cooking it. Turned out really beautifully. The trick is to stop before it turns to rubber bands. 🙂

A nice, lean protein. Will definitely do again. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great.
    What’s your first impression of cooking on the salt block?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Nice! How long do you have to preheat the block? 
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    With only one cook under my belt, it may be early to form an opinion, but here we go:

The instructions advise for a very slow heating and cooling of the block to avoid cracking. Using it therefore requires some planning. Also encourages fuel consumption during the long startups. 

The surface area of the block is quite small. I don’t have access now and can’t measure, but the meal I made for three needed several rounds of cooking - two for veggies and two for the proteins. Good thing I had no other sides. 

The flavour of the salt itself was excellent. Subtle, nicely balanced saltiness kissing most of the ingredients. I noticed that the wet ingredients, which happened to be the proteins - squid and shrimp, picked up a lot more salt than did the veggies. Not overpoweringly so, but close. 

After use, one must let the block cool down and then clean with a little water. With only one use, there’s a lot of pitting on the block, leaving me wondering whether the uneven surface will impact upon future cooks. 

I didn't aim for a hard sear, but I am not sure they are possible with a salt block. I saw some videos of a dude doing steak and they ended up grey on the outside. No Maillard reaction whatsoever. However, I've seen other videos with some searing on seafoods and this was more consistent with my experience tonight. 

So, very good flavour, but a lot of other factors bearing consideration. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice! How long do you have to preheat the block? 
    They advise 15 or so mins on low, then 15 or so on med, then 15 or so on high - so 45 or so mins to get to temp. Thermal shock can reportedly case the stone to crack, which is why they generally come in carriers. When they break, you can grate the salt on top of your food. 

The stones can also be used cold, in which case you would need to refrigerate them.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I got one of those for Christmas but haven’t used it yet.