Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT OT - anyone epoxied a concrete floor before?

Options
Hoster05
Hoster05 Posts: 312
Hi all,
I am getting ready to tackle another project which will be putting an expoy coating down on my garage floor.  The epoxy application I understand.  The part I cannot decide on is the prep.   From what I’ve read you can grind, shot blast or use muriatic acid.  My floor is smooth finished with an applied sealer. Some sites say acid won’t remove sealer, some say they will.  Any DIY experts out there...
Mankato, MN - LBGE

Comments

• FlyOverCountry
    FlyOverCountry Posts: 665
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Is this so you can breakdance in your garage at night?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If ammonia doesn't remove the sealer, your best bet would be to sand it or use a diamond polisher.

Muriatic acid is not very good removing organic sealers.  It is great for removing salts and scales and etching concrete. 
    Options
    Grinding is the best method.  It opens the pores in the concrete but doesn’t leave to much profile (texture) allowing for a smooth final finish.  Muratic acid won’t work properly if a sealer was previously applied.  It acts as a barrier and keeps the acid from working properly.  Shot blasting is only used with very thick coatings, not garage epoxies.  Hope this helps. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Do a moisture test. If you have moisture, the epoxy wont stay stuck. 

I want to do racedeck in my garage. Will never happen 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I was looking at some of the modular flooring options until I saw the prices. I too plan on an epoxy with grit surface after seeing a neighbor’s garage. I plan on a pressure wash after scrubbing the oil spots with oil eater, the rent a polisher if necessary. I’m less worried about aesthetics than a proper adhesion surface. In winter, any melting snow carried in makes getting in/out of cars “exciting”, so I may just bite the bullet for a Swiss track/Race deck/etc if nothing epoxy-wise is satisfactory.