Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2019 BB Potjie Pot??

Options
Greetings friends,

someone, I’m sorry I don’t remember, had a potjie pot at Butt Blast this year. I remember it being awesome. 

So. What was it? How do I use it? Where should I get it?

i gots to HAVE IT!!

thanks
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    This is a South African word (Afrikaans) the literal translation would be "Small pot food"...Potjie.. In South Africa it is super popular for cooking stews and such over an open fire. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    This is a South African word (Afrikaans) the literal translation would be "Small pot food"...Potjie.. In South Africa it is super popular for cooking stews and such over an open fire. 
    I figured Dutch oven style...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I figured Dutch oven style...
    Yes sir.. Cast iron needs very little heat and you can do all kind of cooks in it. The big game hunters would set up camp, go out and usually shoot a warthog (wild boar) for the potjie, being that it was a tough meat which needed a long slow cook over a small fire, leave it all day and come back at dusk to a hearty meal.

Great for oxtail, lamb knuckles, or even baking bread..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    These folks carry them in your neck of the woods. My dad bought one here 20yrs ago. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    That’s a baby potjie. I saw this medium sized one a few weeks ago. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have one and really like it for stews and jambalaya.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon