Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleanout of a BGE

Options
Hi Guys,

I've had a large BGE for about 3 years now and absolutely adore it, use it 6 nights a week and couldn't imagine life without it.  Here's the thing.  I do a high temp burnout about 2-3 times a year as it gets pretty nasty pretty quick, and typically get it back to reasonable white/grey after a couple hours at 600ish degrees and a brushoff.  I recently picked up a medium BGE at an estate sale for $50, wings & nest included-yay me!  but it is GROSS inside and the gasket was gone years ago, really neglected, but a very promising pick up.  Last night I did a burnout using Royal Oak to about 500-600 degrees for 4 hours (kept adding lump as it burned down) and it only cleaned out the firebox & ring - those are now white, the rest is still shiny black & gross.  Anybody have any ideas on where the safe but effective line is on temp & duration?  I was real careful to keep it around 300 for the first hour to allow it to heat up gradually, but not knowing the pedigree of this egg and having my other one crack once at around 900 degrees, I'm wary to absolutely let it rip and blow itself up.  Any thoughts?  Thanks so much guys!

Comments

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I do my clean burns under 700 degrees on my XL, and yes the dome and areas above firebox are still black.  I have a soft brush I hit those areas with, as I am not willing to run it at 1000 to get it spotless!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I don’t even understand- shiny black is what you want.  As long as you have no mold you are good to go.  Egg on my friend. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I doubt anything gross survived that burn out.  You should be clear to get cooking on that medium.  Might I suggest a quick waxing of the exterior of that medium now that its ready to cook with.   =)

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    700º is fine. No need to go higher. I like to keep the temp within range of the thermometer - once you go out of range you are out of control.  You don't have a gasket to worry about.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.