Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flap steak or flap steak strips??

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was visiting my parents for a weekend road trip and we picked up a package of beef flap meat at their Costco.  This package was 2 large hunks of meat...kind of like flank steaks with wings on either side that were thinner and tapered.  IIRC, total weight was at least 5.5lbs.  We sliced them with the grain into more manageable pieces, salted them, and grilled them, and when done I cut them thin against the grain.  It turned out really good...similar to flank steak, but more marbled and more tender...so I thought "I'll look for that at my Costco."  At mine, they have flap meat, but the packages look like they've already sliced the meat against the grain into strips maybe 1.5-2" wide, and they lay a bunch of these in the tray.

1) Has anyone else seen Costco (or different Costco's) sell it both ways?
2) If you buy the flap strips, how do you prepare them?

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Your description of Flap Meat at Costco is the same as what we have locally. When I want to buy flap meat, I speak with the meat cutter and ask for a cryovac package of Flap Meat and it has large pieces that I can cut anyway I want.  Costco will sell you the cryovac package of any of their meats at a discount since they don't have to cut it (or blade tenderize it).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Flap Meat is one of my top 3 favorite cuts of beef. I prefer when the butcher doesn't butterfly it and instead leaves it 1"+ thick. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I just ask one of the butchers at Costco for a bag of flap meat, picked up a 17 pound package yesterday. I butterfly it and wife freezes meal portions in 
    food saver bags. It is a quick cook on griddle or BGE grate. I usually cook it to 135* so it isn't so chewy. 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia