Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tell me everything about smoking cheese

Options
what temp? what kind of cheeses is best? what kind of wood? how long? how to avoid the cheese melting? anything else I should know before trying?
Boom

Comments

• eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    I've cold smoked using an A-Maze-N pellet try in the egg vs using lump charcoal.  Any cheese could work, I did Cheddar and an unsmoked gouda (lots of gouda comes smoked in the supermarkets).

Maybe 1-2 hours of smoke and then wrapped it in plastic wrap for weeks and sat in the fridge.  Its VERY smokey right away but it mellows and its wonderful in a few weeks.  I tried a piece 2-3 days after the smoking process and then again ~3 weeks later.  Way better 3 weeks later.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I do mine during the winter, use the A-Maze-N tray. I like to keep the dome <50*

Vacuum pack and let it chill out for at least two weeks
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Wait until fall. It’s too hot outside now.  
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I choose the cheeses our family likes. The secret for us is to use Sodium Citrate to make the melted cheeses smooth and creamy. 

https://www.modernistpantry.com/sodium-citrate.html

A little goes a long way. And the results are fantastic. 

Once the cheese is incorporated into the macaroni, it goes on the egg for about an hour with just Rockwood lump. Off and once cooled, into the fridge. 

When ready to serve, a number of servings are placed into a frying pan sprayed with non stick and gently sautéed until hot. For us, gives a nice texture. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I do it in the winter, and use a smoke tube filled with 100% apple pellets.  I do it in a gas grill with the cheese away from the heat source.  I use a gas grill to allow a lot of the smoke to escape.  I only smoke the cheese for an hour.  I have tried other methods and this is the best results I have had to give the cheese a mild smokey taste.  This was last November in the green mountain grill.  The cheese is sitting on an old woo extended grill from a large egg.  When I shut the lid, the smoke can easily escape through the lid so there isn't too much smoke on the cheese.  The stuff takes on smoke like crazy so you have to temper it.  Then I let the cheese rest in the fridge for a month wrapped in a ziploc.