Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dome assist spring issue

Has any one experienced their springs popping off when they open the lid completely. It get a little annoying that i have to put one of them back on every time i open the dome. It appears they need to be 1/2 inch longer. 
Washington, DC  

1- LBGE

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,321
    Can you clarify; are you talking about the new style bands?
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • rowmsurowmsu Posts: 55
    edited June 12

Pretty new at this compared to some other folks. I would assume it is the newer bands as the Egg is only a year old. Photos to show what i am referring to are attached. 

Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 24,731
    would send that pic into bruce at bge,  they may have tried different springs til they found  combo that worked
  • smittydog27smittydog27 Posts: 33
    try reversing the spring.....instead of the rear hook 'up', face it down.  Then it won't slip off (fall thru).  Then the top or upper part of hook is faced 'down' and it won't fall off.  Thats how mine works.  FWIW
    try reversing the spring.....instead of the rear hook 'up', face it down.  Then it won't slip off (fall thru).  Then the top or upper part of hook is faced 'down' and it won't fall off.  Thats how mine works.  FWIW
    So smart. Never thought of that. I will try 

Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 3,321
    Flip the spring over as @smittydog27 suggested. That is the issue
    XL BGE, 2-LG BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • jimdgreat1jimdgreat1 Posts: 165
    Thanks. Having/had the same problem myself.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 2,224
    as stated, springs are upside down.

John - SLC, UT

2XL, XL, 3 Larges (each kid gets one), Med, MM, 2 Minis

Flipped the springs and all is good. Not sure why I did not notice, and I assumed it was assembled correctly.
    Washington, DC  

1- LBGE
  • smittydog27smittydog27 Posts: 33
    =)
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,762
    rowmsu said:
    Flipped the springs and all is good. Not sure why I did not notice, and I assumed it was assembled correctly.
    Glad you solved it.  I replaced my old bands with the new design and in the instructions, they give have a warning about putting the springs on correctly. You might want to mention this to the dealer the next time you visit their store.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA