Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It won’t smoke!

Options
2»

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I've read comments from some 'experts' on Kamado cooking,  that you don't need to add wood at all--that lump charcoal all by itself will impart all the smoke flavour you ever really need.
    Depends on the brand of lump.  There are some out there that smoke like crazy because they are more wood than charcoal!!!! 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Thapco said:
    For those who think BGE is not a smoker, why do I have to run take a shower, wash my hair and throw my clothes in the washer after each cook?  Wife makes me take my clothes off outside.  Hmmm, sometimes not a bad idea but makes me set the meat after cooking for too long.  Happens everytime I open the top
    There is a lot going on there, not sure where to focus
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Thapco said:
    For those who think BGE is not a smoker, why do I have to run take a shower, wash my hair and throw my clothes in the washer after each cook?  Wife makes me take my clothes off outside.  Hmmm, sometimes not a bad idea but makes me set the meat after cooking for too long.  Happens everytime I open the top
    Is your wife a pole smoker at least?
  • DaveinWNC
    DaveinWNC Posts: 1
    Options
    I can’t quite match the smoke I get off a product at a local BBQ joint, but I do get my food at exactly the temp I want with the flavor profile I want. Nothing dried out, over cooked, or under seasoned. And there is plenty of smoke flavor. I have an old XXL Patagonia rain jacket I bought at clearance which works awesome as an indestructible poncho and fall/winter cooking jacket. It’s never been around a campfire, but whenever I wear it, people comment I must spend half my life camping. That’s entirely from being around a BGE for smoking whatever.

I finally broke down and “cheated” with a temp controller. It makes low and slow almost bullet proof, and the only cooks I have screwed up since were the ones I went overboard on the smoke - too much. I try to aim for about 3 ounces of wood per pound of meat, distributed through the lump. There is probably a way to be more precise with it, but being able to take a hike with my daughter while some pulled pork does its thing over 12-14 hours was a revelation. And the food tastes great.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    The turkey breast section I smoked on Sunday came out with great flavor. Using chunks placed on top of the running coals works well for me. Especially when I'm smoking for a shorter time frame (they go 2-4 hours max.).
    One of the things I LOVE about the BGE is how efficient it is with the charcoal. I use far less per hour than I did in my previous smokers/BBQs. Plus, the amount of wood used per hour/session is less. I take that as both to this type of smoker/BBQ being a more efficient design and the item sealing really well.
    It's all good as long as you get the flavor you want. :)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I didnt read through all of this, so it may have already been stated......

The smoke ring has nothing to do with the amount of smoke in the meat or the amount you are going to taste.  Briquettes give a redder smoke ring than lump because of the anthracite.  Same goes with different types of woods.  Cherry gives a darker smoke ring than others.