Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Steel Skillets

Options
td66snrf
td66snrf Posts: 1,822
My new Sur LA table catalog came and they are hilighting BK brand black steel skillets. Anyone had experience with them? I'm pretty well stocked with cast iron so it's not a necessity but father's day is coming. 

https://m.surlatable.com/product/PRO-5283494/BK+Black+Steel+Skillets
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    No direct experience here, but I'm puzzled.  From the time when I first got interested in cooking (right before the Frugal Gourmet went to prison) until now, I've always read about avoiding cheap steel cookware (Mom had some expensive stuff) and go with aluminum, or if you're flush, copper or at least copper-layer, as those metals eliminated hot spots due to their higher thermal conductivity.  
    I do have some cast iron cookware, but they're DOs which cook low-und-slow, (sometimes in the oven) so the slower conductivity doesn't factor in; I also have a CI wok, but it's used over the coals in the Egg and the heat is already hitting it evenly over the bottom.  A skillet, on a stove, I would think would be very susceptible to hot spots, burned sauces/eggs, etc.   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    I love my carbon steel skillet!  For cooking on the stove, I will take it over any cast iron skillet I have ever used.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Never heard of or used the BK brand but do have a few carbon steel pans from others. Can't imagine there really are many important differences between the various brands.
    My fave carbons are the ones from the Australian maker Solidteknics. Their Aus-Ion pans are seamless so no handle rivets and they have nice long handles which I really like. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    You mentioned cast iron -- just want to make sure you realize these are completely different from cast iron.  Not the same at all.  Much thinner, much lighter, but have the potential to be "seasoned" much the same as cast iron, so they're practically non-stick, but indestructible, not like Teflon, etc..

I started to use some DeBuyer Mineral carbon steel skillets for a while, and really liked them, but then we did a big kitchen remodel and wound up buying an induction cooktop, so we had to buy all-new cookware.  The DeBuyer skillets still would have worked fine on induction, but it's a long story, I wound up buying some DeMeyere stainless cookware that was made for induction, and I don't use the carbon steel ones anymore.

If you're loaded with CI and you love it, keep using it!  Like CI, carbon steel pans need seasoning, and it can be a bit of a pain to get them seasoned consistently.  You've already got your CI skillets seasoned and they're great, so what's the point of adding carbon steel skillets?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @Theophan one reason is as I get older the CI gets heavier. I have 7 skillets from 6 to 13, that's a  load. I appreciate everyone's input.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have a couple of deBuyer CS skillets. I like them and use them more than my CI. I use them in the outdoor kitchen and like them just because they take a lot of abuse without worry. I’m talking about scraping on the floor of the wood oven, black and soot from wood fires, etc. I can’t say they are any better then the CI, but I do like them.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Theophan said:
    You mentioned cast iron -- just want to make sure you realize these are completely different from cast iron.  Not the same at all.  Much thinner, much lighter, but have the potential to be "seasoned" much the same as cast iron, so they're practically non-stick, but indestructible, not like Teflon, etc..

I started to use some DeBuyer Mineral carbon steel skillets for a while, and really liked them, but then we did a big kitchen remodel and wound up buying an induction cooktop, so we had to buy all-new cookware.  The DeBuyer skillets still would have worked fine on induction, but it's a long story, I wound up buying some DeMeyere stainless cookware that was made for induction, and I don't use the carbon steel ones anymore.

If you're loaded with CI and you love it, keep using it!  Like CI, carbon steel pans need seasoning, and it can be a bit of a pain to get them seasoned consistently.  You've already got your CI skillets seasoned and they're great, so what's the point of adding carbon steel skillets?
    Carbon steel has a couple of advantages over cast iron. One is the potential lighter weight and longer handles. That allows me to easily toss items in my skillet while cooking. Can't do that with any of the dozen cast iron skillets I have.
    Second advantage is, generally being thinner metal, they heat up and cool down more quickly than cast iron. Sometimes you don't want a pan to retain a lot of residual heat.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Carbon steel skillets are perfect for paella and stir fries. Great substitute for a wok in a pinch. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Debuyer is nice. I have one.  But If you want something more economical to test out, Vollrath is also a good brand.  I believe a lot of restaurants use them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Only real down side is that it’s softer than CI. Easy to scratch the surface. I tore mine up stirring with a metal fork. Had to strip it back down and start over. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Being a gadget freak I might just have to try one.   :o
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Carbon Steel skillets are more fun and feel more "chefy" than cast iron but they function more or less the same. Carbon steel is slightly less heavy (but still thick gauge steel) and polished smooth. DeBuyer is the standard, that link you sent doesn't look too appealing to me. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave