Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Egg on Soapstone

Options
My tile guy tells me I should not have my XL egg sitting directly on my soapstone counter.  I had a special low cabinet made for it so it is sitting directly on the soapstone.  When it gets over 400 degrees a natural crack opens up but it closes back up when it cools. My counter top guy says the soapstone can handle it and that crack will just open and close but is not a problem.  I wonder if I should have some air underneath the egg just in case (but it weighs 200 pounds).  Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Almost everyone here will tell you that you should have an air gap. Not so much to protect the soapstone but to protect whatever is beneath the soapstone as a lot of heat transfers thru the soapstone and might cause problems if the material underneath is combustible.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Stone is a conductor of heat, not an insulator.  You're paying to heat the soapstone, and then risking burning whatever its sitting on.

Get an air gap to fix both issues.
  • Hoffrock
    Hoffrock Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks, this is good info.  My cabinets are aluminum frame to there is no other material under the soapstone except air so I might be ok.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hoffrock said:
    Thanks, this is good info.  My cabinets are aluminum frame to there is no other material under the soapstone except air so I might be ok.
    In your case I wouldn't bother with an air gap either.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    In that case, all you need is a handful of 1x1 floor tiles.  
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Get some of the little ceramic egg feet, they will only raise it a half inch 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Hoffrock
    Hoffrock Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks Miles - just order a set of feet from Amazon.  Could not find them on the Egg site.