Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open lid cooking

Options
Does anyone cook with the BGE lid open?   If so, what?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thus far, woks and searing are the only cooks I have the lid open for. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Picanha as in the thread earlier this afternoon is an open cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Gonna grill some shrimp later.  Anything that requires hot and fast, otherwise seering.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Fish and shrimp 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Its hard to control the temp with the lid open. Fine to leave the lid up when quickly searing something over hot coals.  Quick wok cooks can be done with the lid up.  For most cooks, a controlled fire is desired, so closing the lid to control air flow is the way to go.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Boudan Balls
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Chili rellenos
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Okra and tomatoes

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Creamed Corn

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Caveman steaks and a good portion of a paella cook are "eyes wide-open".  Just depends on the heat/fire you need to get the outcome you want.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    For cooking in a wok or cast iron pan, I use a portable stove like a Gas One.  It is amazing how fast it can get things hot.
    https://www.amazon.com/GS-3000-Portable-Stove-Carrying-Approved/dp/B07D1T6R49

Raleigh, NC
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Burgers.  Lid open, bottom vent fully closed...
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wok cooking surely requires an open lid.  But otherwise, no, I never leave the lid open.  When I'm doing a 700° sear on a steak, the lid's shut, and 1 minute a side, they are SEARED, and there's practically no gray meat under the surface.  I don't see an advantage.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Typically that is called "grilling".
    Options
    Toasting bread; that always happens quick and they usually need to be shifted around in real-time.    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2019
    Options
    On a small egg, I sear after sous vide by patting dry with a paper towel, seasoning then putting on a 500-600 degree small egg with the lid open and the bottom vent closed completely.

edit; I preheat it like normal and when it is piping hot (around 500) I close the bottom and open the lid and do my searing. Flip every 30 seconds.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    heck yeah. start with a small fire, add a single chunk of wood, thrown in some cut up pieces of chicken.  20-30 minutes later open the vents and let the fire grow. then raise the lid and use it like a.... grill.  pork chops done this way are about my favorite thing to eat these days.

or do the reverse.  make a nice fire and thrown some skirt steak on and brown it up.  center still too cold?  close the lid, close the vents down a bit, and let it finish.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mr6Sigma
    Mr6Sigma Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding to my question.  Lots of helpful info.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you get too much flames completely shut the lower vent. 600 degrees dome, open lid, shut lower vent down seems to be perfect for wok cooking. you can go hotter after you do a few cooks at 600 but thats the temp i use for the wok
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it