Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Retractable awning

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Thinking of having one put in (18') to get more shade for the patio by the pool. Sunsetter is the only brand I know of, but am open to other brands. 

Thoughts?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My thought is I thought of detachable when I read retractable.  Then this.

Options
    caliking said:
    Thinking of having one put in (18') to get more shade for the patio by the pool. Sunsetter is the only brand I know of, but am open to other brands. 

Thoughts?
    Friend put one up a few yrs ago and loves it.  I know they aren’t cheap, but he tells me it was money well spent.  Increased the usability of his patio a ton he says. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think John Edwards is still selling those...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Here in Michigan Marygrove awning is the king.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    We are on our second Sunsetter. For us it was a game changer and allows us to enjoy our deck. Highly recommend. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • caliking
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My thought is I thought of detachable when I read retractable.  Then this. 

Most are retractable. Some are detachable. But that’s just weird. 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Motorized or hand crank?
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I just got a quote for a solid roof to cover my patio and it was about twice what I had hoped. Quote came in at $23,000.  It did include all the electrical for two fans and can lights and I had to have an engineered beam to span the patio. It’s a 20x28 space to cover it all so I did expect a big number but not quite that big. Needless to say I’m investigating motorized retractable awnings now too. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    I just got a quote for a solid roof to cover my patio and it was about twice what I had hoped. Quote came in at $23,000.  It did include all the electrical for two fans and can lights and I had to have an engineered beam to span the patio. It’s a 20x28 space to cover it all so I did expect a big number but not quite that big. Needless to say I’m investigating motorized retractable awnings now too. 
    I would get another quote!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I will but they have to tie into roof line on all three sides and it is a significant amount of work. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited May 2019
    Options
    The economy is booming right now just like it was pre 08. I’ve been getting stupidly ridiculous pricing on quotes for work
    around the house just like back then. Seems like every contractor wants to be a millionaire. Makes me somewhat nervous about the economy. 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Not where I live! I know what you mean, been through it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I will but they have to tie into roof line on all three sides and it is a significant amount of work. 
    Maybe this product would be beneficial
    in your application 

https://skylifthardware.com/
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    We had a sliding glass door that was south facing onto a porch.
     One summer I screwed and tied one of those 12x12 collapsible tents to the deck and I bet it cooled the room down 10 degrees not to mention the deck. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    in your application 

Yeah we looked into that too when someone posted about it a couple weeks ago. I was trying to avoid going through the roof if we can help it. That looks like a solid product but it makes me nervous about leaks and structural integrity especially since I live in a hurricane zone. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Motorized or hand crank?
     I'm leaning more towards the manual/hand crank version, since I figure the motor will fail as soon as it's out of warranty. 

Costco sells Sunsetter stuff, but without installation currently. They sell another brand too (Brasilia) which seems good, but also  without installation, and I'm not sure if it could be installed on the soffit. 

I have a Somfy dealer coming to give me an estimate this week, so let's see. 

@MeTed I'll see if  Marygrove awnings are available here.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    in your application 

Never seen those before. That's pretty clever.
    Thanks for the link!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Watching this account Mrs. Bucky and I was just talking about the relentless summer sun on our deck.  In mid-summer, our back deck is in the sun from 10a to 6p at the least.   

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,613
    Options
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Motorized or hand crank?
     I'm leaning more towards the manual/hand crank version, since I figure the motor will fail as soon as it's out of warranty. 

Costco sells Sunsetter stuff, but without installation currently. They sell another brand too (Brasilia) which seems good, but also  without installation, and I'm not sure if it could be installed on the soffit. 

If it’s Costco and the motor fails in 7 years...
  • caliking
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Watching this account Mrs. Bucky and I was just talking about the relentless summer sun on our deck.  In mid-summer, our back deck is in the sun from 10a to 6p at the least.   
    The Brasilia awnings from Costco have adjustable pitch/angle of the awning, which I like. Not sure if the Somfy or Sunsetter ones can be adjusted,  it I’ll find out this week. I like that the Somfy motorized one can be controlled with my phone. 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    We bought a Sunsetter 15 years ago for our uncovered deck.  About 5 years later my wife wanted it screened so we had the roof extended, singled, electrical for fan/light and screened.  Built out a new open deck for furniture and BGE/grills setup.  I took the Sunsetter and put it over a walkout single garage on the back of the house where I keep my lawn tractor, golf cart and tools.  It's been there for over 10 years.

I installed the awning at both locations myself needing a second person only to help me lift it into the brackets.  A strong recommendation would be to spend the extra for the motorized model.  I can't imagine having to hand crank it in and out every time.  I've had no problems with the motor, but confident I could get a replacement from Sunsetter if I need it.        

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Motorized or hand crank?

What ever you decide, if it attaches to your house, make sure it does not void your Texas Wind Storm Insurance. Anything that is directly connected to your house could throw them into a frenzy. They had me fuming a few years ago.
    Mine is through USAA and USAA has handled all of our issues like complete idiots. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cjtamu
    Cjtamu Posts: 22
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Motorized or hand crank?

What ever you decide, if it attaches to your house, make sure it does not void your Texas Wind Storm Insurance. Anything that is directly connected to your house could throw them into a frenzy. They had me fuming a few years ago.
    Mine is through USAA and USAA has handled all of our issues like complete idiots. 
    This. @Caliking, let us know what you find out. We've been talking about either a retractable awning or a pergola. But we're not attaching anything to the house because insurance will have a fit. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Cjtamu said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Tspud1 said:
    Motorized or hand crank?

This. @Caliking, let us know what you find out. We've been talking about either a retractable awning or a pergola. But we're not attaching anything to the house because insurance will have a fit. 
    Hmmmm... Had not considered insurance issues.  I'll call and check. Thanks for pointing it out. 

• caliking
    Options
    @Cjtamu & @Photo Egg I just checked with GEICO, and confirmed that installing a retractable awning does not impact the policy itself. If installed, I have the option of increasing the replacement value (of the house) by $9K. But premiums, etc would not be affected. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    No help here, but now I'm wondering for folks with charcoal grill on wood deck, would insurance go up?
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Cjtamu & @Photo Egg I just checked with GEICO, and confirmed that installing a retractable awning does not impact the policy itself. If installed, I have the option of increasing the replacement value (of the house) by $9K. But premiums, etc would not be affected. 
    For us, it was not our standard home insurance policy that was in jeopardy, it was just the Wind Storm Policy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    The economy is booming right now just like it was pre 08. I’ve been getting stupidly ridiculous pricing on quotes for work
    around the house just like back then. Seems like every contractor wants to be a millionaire. Makes me somewhat nervous about the economy. 

I'd be nervous too. Lots of money sloshing around after those tax cuts in the US, running a big deficit is just pumping cash into the economy. We were heading the same way, but the Brexit vote has slowed things down considerably now.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Eoin said:

I'd be nervous too. Lots of money sloshing around after those tax cuts in the US, running a big deficit is just pumping cash into the economy. We were heading the same way, but the Brexit vote has slowed things down considerably now.
    We’ve been running huge deficits for a long time. Nothing new around here.