Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ALERT - Rockwood on Sale at Ace Hardware - $19.99/bag

Options
2»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Bought 3 bags to see what the hype is. I still think $1/lb is too expensive for lump. 

It's great lump and worth every penny. I usually keep 1 bag of it and 1 bag of RO on hand. RO for the hot and fast stuff that I want a little smokey flavor with and Rockwood for the Low and slow stuff I want to use wood chunks or chips with or pizza cooks where I need a neutral burn. I don't have @DoubleEgger money where I can use exclusively Rockwood.
    Thanks for the shout out. If an extra $5 a bag for quality lump is breaking you, then you’ve got bigger issues to deal with. 

I was being a bit sarcastic there...
    Me too 
    Lump discussions have no room for sarcasm.  Please leave those for threads discussing infuriating news items and miscarriages of justice.
    Discussions of current events is now verboten. Thank God tho that we can discuss the proper way to wipe/clean one's ahole!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I didn't have to run over them with my car.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Thanks - loaded up now for awhile . . Have a huge tupperware tub of random small pieces I collected over years . . Good idea but never use them!!  Think I’m just gonna toss in the backyard - just too easy to lift and dump a new bag 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Those smaller pieces are perfect for a mini or mini max.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Buy a Kick Ash Basket and burn the small chunks, even the dust. You'll also use less lump per cook. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The size of the lump has nothing to do with burn time.  It's all about weight and carbonization.  Take a big chunk and smack it with a hammer--you didn't change anything--volume, weight, carbonization, etc is all still the same.  Law of conservation of energy.  The only way to get rid of ANY of that charcoal faster is to burn it hotter.  So if you're maintaining a set temp, you're metering the oxygen, thus it CANNOT burn any faster or slower (and if it did, it would be accompanied by the subsequent temp increase or decrease.)

The only time this would really make a difference is in a cooker where you cannot meter the oxygen......an open park style grill, a leaky old kettle, etc.  But even then, the big chunks are going to turn into small chunks and you're not going to be able to maintain a certain temp easily anyway.

One last thing to remember.  HUGE chunks = either very very very well handled charcoal or [more likely] under-carbonized "charcoal."  Properly carbonized charcoal is brittle and breaks apart just with agitation.  If you have a huge chunk that doesn't break, it's because it's full of wood fiber and is not really charcoal yet.  Dense "charcoal" is not charcoal......it's charred wood.  Wood is full of volatiles and water, and is heavier than carbon--so you're getting screwed if you're purchasing by weight.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I’ve never understood the obsession people babe with huge chunks of lump. I feel like maybe they are trying to compensate...just saying 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    ryantt said:
    " babe with huge lump."
    No thank you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Just bought another bag. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.