Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Pontoon Boat Rebuild - OT

bhuggbhugg Posts: 271
I am in the process of rebuilding a 24’ pontoon and I am ready to secure the new deck. I am undecided between using the stainless deck bolts or the self-tapping screws. Do any of you have any experience or input on which I should use?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,109
    I would definitely go stainless and bolted. It's going to be on the water. Rust and vibrations are constant.
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 31,148
    Stainless self-tapping deck screws.

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 24,941
    will the screws stick out down below, that would be my only concern. less chance of the tapping screws backing out however im constantly replacing lost screws and bolts on my boat. definitely needs to be stainless
  • Kent8621Kent8621 Posts: 777
    i would watch the type of stainless you use and do what you can to find the right kind.  the wrong kinds of stainless can react with salt water and fresh water differently since they are not all created equally.  i would look for something in the 300 series of stainless (301,302,303,304 or 321).  

2 Large Eggs - Madison, AL

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 15,458
    Watch out for galvonic corrosion. This link has a nifty little chart. 

https://www.monarchmetal.com/blog/galvanic-corrosion-common-questions-answered/

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 1,965
    go to your local fastenal
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 15,458
    go to your local fastenal
    And order what you need. They never have anything in stock around here. We call it Fastenone 
  • Sea2SkiSea2Ski Posts: 3,478
    +1 on stainless.
    I would be interested in seeing pictures of the rebuild if you care to share. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------