Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camp Chef Griddle Question--

Options
So I pulled the trigger and got myself the Camp Chef Griddle FTG 600, 4 Burner Module...

I am planning on building it into a new outdoor kitchen...

Curious if anyone with the camp chef has done anything to modify the grease trap/cup....

I have put it together on the legs, and done a few cooks already, and one of the first things I am noticing is the hole in the grease trap is kind of small, and grease is fine of course, but any particles will jam up inside of it....

Did a lot of checking on reviews and comparisons, and decided to go with CC for a number of reasons, but all the reviews and comparisons I saw, never heard any complaints about the size of the drain hole...

Any Thoughts?  Thanks....
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    Options
    Oh and  by the way, I have a Large Green Egg now, but going to be building a space for a brand new XL...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    Nice looking griddle. I have the two burner style. Mine is the more portable version but it looks like the griddle top is similar if not the same. Haven't had any issues with the grease hole so far. I bought the larger grease trap (looks like yours come with it when looking at pics) but otherwise no modifications here. It just seemed more secure than a can hanging there to me but I can't think of a time where it filled up over 1/4 of the way or clogged up enough to be a problem.

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Any chance you could drill it out to a larger size? Move up slowly, if so.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• pileit1971
    Options
    Nice looking griddle. I have the two burner style. Mine is the more portable version but it looks like the griddle top is similar if not the same. Haven't had any issues with the grease hole so far. I bought the larger grease trap (looks like yours come with it when looking at pics) but otherwise no modifications here. It just seemed more secure than a can hanging there to me but I can't think of a time where it filled up over 1/4 of the way or clogged up enough to be a problem.

Its not the size of the cup, its the hole from the grease trap that is a little tight... for any bits or pieces that are scrapped off, it gets stuck....

And yes the way its secured to the side tray is one of the best ways I have seen as well...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have a camp chef (2 burner) and have issues with the hole plugging up. Never thought of drilling it out, that would certainly help. I may try it.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I just scrape the bits n pieces into a corner and scoop them up with the spatula or scraper. 

Id be careful about drilling on it, take the coating off, though it would be a small area.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    I also have the FTG600 and have had issues with clogging. Have thought about trying to drill it out a bit but not sure you could do it enough to significantly improve anything. I just keep a piece of wire looped around the shelf and use it to clear it out when it plugs. Works well enough but wish the hole was larger to begin with.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    Good ideas, guess worst case if I drill it out, and ruin it, can just get another top from CC...

do like the wire idea...

Thanks, all good info
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited May 2019
    Options
    wind screen for FTG600
  • pileit1971
    Options
    wow, do tell more....
    is it permanent? can it be removed?   Only concern is that on a normal day without it really windy, would be worried that heat would build up too much with the vents covered....especially being built in (mine will be).... windy day, would be great....
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio