Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Baby Backs

Options
Phatchris
Phatchris Posts: 1,726
edited May 2019 in Pork
My kids wanted ribs, but they dont like any kind of spice... black pepper is too spicy for their taste.. I sprinkled some salt and cinnamon on the ribs.. on to the egg at 350 with a couple apple chunks for 1 1/2 hrs, then i wrapped with some butter, brown sugar, and honey and put back on for 30... Very tender with still a little bite... Too sweet for my taste, but with the addition of a habanero bbq sauce pretty good. 

Anybody turbo with a sweet rub or does the sugar burn at the high temp?

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow, those look GOOD!  I can't imagine black pepper being to spicy for anybody.  Interesting!  I hope they grow out of it, because there's a world of flavor they're missing out on.

Another possibility might be herbs instead of spices.  A few times I've been craving ribs but was sort of tired of the usual BBQ style ribs, and I've made "Tuscan" ribs a few times, with a bunch of Italian herbs.  It was very different from BBQ-style, but they were yummy!
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Wow, those look GOOD!  I can't imagine black pepper being to spicy for anybody.  Interesting!  I hope they grow out of it, because there's a world of flavor they're missing out on.

Another possibility might be herbs instead of spices.  A few times I've been craving ribs but was sort of tired of the usual BBQ style ribs, and I've made "Tuscan" ribs a few times, with a bunch of Italian herbs.  It was very different from BBQ-style, but they were yummy!
    Tuscan ribs are great.... they are going through a picky eating phase... if they see the green herbs... forget about it 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice looking ribs! You're okay with turbo, sugar burns at 350°. I usually try to hold turbo to 320-325° though I rarely do ribs.

I found a recipe the other day that calls for an Instant Pot for just 9 or 10 minutes followed by some time on the grill to caramelize. You'd have to alter the recipe though, it calls for hot Chinese mustard and Sriracha! =) Commenters point out that she didn't use enough liquid (just 1/4 cup of Mirin). I would add some water. Might need a longer IP time too. The BA recipe says start to finish in about 25 minutes. Definitely gonna try these...

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/instant-pot-glazed-and-grilled-ribs

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WhiteyQ
    WhiteyQ Posts: 29
    Options
    Nice looking results. Did you cook indirect?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Nice looking ribs! You're okay with turbo, sugar burns at 350°. I usually try to hold turbo to 320-325° though I rarely do ribs.

I found a recipe the other day that calls for an Instant Pot for just 9 or 10 minutes followed by some time on the grill to caramelize. You'd have to alter the recipe though, it calls for hot Chinese mustard and Sriracha! =) Commenters point out that she didn't use enough liquid (just 1/4 cup of Mirin). I would add some water. Might need a longer IP time too. The BA recipe says start to finish in about 25 minutes. Definitely gonna try these...

Please post if you try this.  It looks really good.  I agree with you that it probably needs more IP time.
    NOLA
  • Phatchris
    Options

Nice looking recipe, my wife loves to play around with the instant pot, and that was the initial plan with the ribs, but I got home before she did...lol
  • Phatchris
    Options
    WhiteyQ said:
    Nice looking results. Did you cook indirect?
    Yup indirect with plate setter and foil drip pan