Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Handle Replacement

Options

This is likely not the right place for it but it could be table related.

We recently had a new deck built and, while it was being done, I had my large egg taken apart. I started putting it together two days ago and decided there was no better time than the present to replace the grip on the lid. My egg is 15+ years old and still had the original BGE wooden handles. I decided to use a piece of 1" dowel that I cut in half on my band saw and drilled for new stainless steel screws.

Even after a good application of spar varnish, I thought it looked too plain so I spent a couple of hours and came up with what I think is a nice handle. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options

Cool

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options

what kind of rope is it?

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

If you do many cooks with the dome up (hi temp), it will probably get a bit charred on the bottom.

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 16
    Options

The rope is some 1/8" cotton cord I use for decorative knot work. I order it from a supplier in North Carolina. PM me if you want his info.

Re: open dome cooks ...

I thought the about likelihood of the cord burning or charring with open dome cooking. This handle is on my large egg that I use primarily for low-slow cooking so it rarely, if ever, sees lava temps. I have a small egg that I use for high temp cooks. I will be putting a new handle on it next week. I will do that one as a plain wooden handle.

I thought about using some deer antler but don't know how well that would work around high heat. I can't imagine it would do too well.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited April 2019
    Options

looks amazing. My fear is that after one good low and slow and grabbing it with a grease covered hand and it will never be the same.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 16
    Options

I have to agree with Thatgrimguy that greasy hands will make short work of what looks pretty good right now. I did apply two coats of spar urethane to the knot work before I reinstalled the handle but I know full well that it will not be pretty for long.

Fortunately, I enjoy doing the kind of work on this handle so, if it gets too nasty, I'll just replace it with something else.