Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge Assembly Replacement on Large Egg

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145

Was wondering if anyone has done a hinge replacement lately....I have an older large egg and can't get the top to line up with the bottom.....if. you have done one how much was the new hinge?....appreciate any info.....thanks!!!

Comments

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options

My hinge froze up a few years ago . Took it to dealer for free warranty replacement . My top and bottom aren’t quite lined up as well, but it doesn’t seem to be a problem. It is only about a 1/4 inch

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options

I just put a new one on a 9/10-year old egg a couple of weeks ago. This egg always had an underbite and at times had issues with air gaps that I could fix by loosening the bands and readjusting. Before this last winter I readjusted and tightened everything up and at some point using it this winter I think I bent the bands (or something), as a very significant gap developed between the lid and base in the back and rights side rendering it useless for the rest of the winter. After fighting with it for a couple hours once the temp here warmed up I could not close the gap in any meaningful way so I just decided to get the new bands. For the first time my egg aligns perfectly, without an air gap anywhere, and installation was very easy. I think I paid about $130. Wish I would have done this much sooner.

Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options

We are moving next week and I think I am going to replace the hinge after taking it apart for the move. My current hinge is the original one that came with my egg 8 years ago so figure now is the time to do it.

Is the nest handler worth it? Our new backyard has some uneven concrete around the pool so thinking of adding the handler along with the new band if it helps a lot for moving around. What do the handlers run for cost?

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options

I replaced mine a month or so ago and it was $124. Super easy to install.

Las Vegas, NV

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options

Handler for a LRG is $90 at my local dealer

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options

120 for me if I could wait on the shipping. Wish I would have done it earlier and avoided a year or more of monkeying with the old one.

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

Saturday night I was grilling some brats and burgers on my large BGE along with some Shiner Bocks, about 15 minutes into the cook I opened the BGE to turn the sausages and as I opened the lid it shifted a bit to the right, strange, but I continued. By the time the sausages where don't cooking the lid of the BGE when closed was about 1/2" to 3/4" off center to the right and the gap went from 0 at on the left to 1/2" on the right. Basically the lid was siting on an angle and off center. So I grabbed a couple of 1/2" wrenches and ever so slightly loosened the nylon-locking nuts that hold the top and bottom of the hinge, once I got all of them them loose I was able to shift it all back into alignment and finish the cook. Took the whole damn hinge apart on Sunday springs and all, once I finish putting the new wheels on my cart, I will clean up the hinge parts an reassemble.

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options

Thanks for the feedback....I have reached out to the mothership and am waiting on a response to purchase a new hinge assembly....did you guys get your hinges directly from BGE or from your dealers?

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options

I used a local dealer. Not the one I purchased from.