Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie

Options
2»

Comments

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options

As long as it's truly a suckling pig, as in just a couple weeks old and still on milk size. I've had a lot of difficulty sourcing that small of a pig here in the U.S.. They are very common in Spain and a classic food. But, here in the U.S., it seems people are very generous with what they are calling a suckling pig. The ones I've seen for sale are just juvenile pigs (too big) and hardly what I would put in the category of suckling.

Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Chkultr
    Chkultr Posts: 31
    Options

Hoping for some advice here. I just purchased the JoeTisserie for my LBGE. I have the newer band system on a 5 year old LBGE.

The JoeTisserie doesn’t seem to allow my dome to close all the way. Any suggestions?

thank you

josh

1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    edited May 2019
    Options

On mine, the tisserie has a lot of slop in its placement. I can move it around quite a bit, so maybe you just need to wiggle it forward a bit? If mine is too far to the back the dome won't quite close like yours, but moving it to the front gives me a good closure.

Of course, I have the old style band/springs. Maybe that's the difference?

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Chkultr
    Chkultr Posts: 31
    Options

That could be the difference. I have it as far forward as it will go. So far disappointing

1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

It doesn't need to seal up.....its a rotisserie. Lot of guys run it with the lid up.

• whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options

This may sound like a dumb question but can you monitor temps with this setup? I’m trying to figure out how to monitor pit temp or food temp with probes when it’s all spinning

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options

Meater makes a wireless Bluetooth themo which works fantastic just for this purpose. Regular probe for the pit temp. Can also use the dig que set up if you so desire to maintain the pit temp but not the wired probe for the food.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

I shuffle the JoeT back and forth until I find where it fits best.

I have two eggs, one has a rutland gasket on the lower half. The JoeT does not seem to fit as well on that egg. But I still get great results. On my 2nd egg I have the OEM felt gasket only on the top, and it has the new hinge. The JoeT fits very snugly on that egg.

Just get it the best you can, you'll likely have to play with the vents to get the roasting temp you are used to, but it'll work fine for you. I still cook with it closed and get Egg results, but with the benefits of a roto.

LBGE/Maryland
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options

I think you answered my question, I have Rutland gasket on my XL and was thinking about hinting at a Joetisserie for Fathers Day. It may add thickness but what if we put a gasket on top of the Joe T to make up for the lack of one. Would that add too much thickness?

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options

I don't think it matters, but yeah, a gasket on the top half at least made a difference for me.

It really does still cook great either way, though. You shuffle it around until it has the least gaps and let her rip. Once you get your vents adjusted it'll still hold temp fine. Maybe not a low and slow, but you're not really roasting at that temp anyway.

So yeah... add that to the Father's Day list!

LBGE/Maryland
  • smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    Options

got my ***tisserie in the mail yesterday. Have new bands and high-que gasket. Will test fit tonight (when wife is not home) to see how it fits.

• smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    Options

Fits like a glove. No gaps. This will work nicely. Even got the high temp paint and removed the ‘joe’

• Lrock35
    Lrock35 Posts: 2
    Options
    Does the Joetisserie stay on the BGE or is it removed after the cook?  Thinking of getting one but am hesitant because of the one comment of "it's sitting in my garage".  I don't want to be putting it on and off constantly.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Lrock35 said:
    Does the Joetisserie stay on the BGE or is it removed after the cook?  Thinking of getting one but am hesitant because of the one comment of "it's sitting in my garage".  I don't want to be putting it on and off constantly.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!
    It's just a collar you set on the base.  It's not anything you "install" per se.  So, no, you don't leave it on the egg when you're not using it.  Just put a hook on the wall and hang it there.
  • Lrock35
    Lrock35 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated!