Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else think Roku is a P.O.S?

Options

Off topic... I think Roku is a piece of shi! I am on my 4th generation device, why 4th? well because this "great" device keeps locking up and resetting and freezing up. A little information I get 120 Mbs so it's not the connection. I have different issues with the other Roku devices on the other 5 TV's in my house.... Before you say switch to Apple TV, I'd rather not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.... I'd love to update the software on the Roku hardware but it is not available, that for me, makes Roku a big scam.... But the hardware that is flawed but we won't update the software to fix it.......

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175
    Options

I have 3 that all work great. Some are older. Not sure why you have problems.

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options

Can't help with your problem, my old roku works perfectly. If you are looking for an alternative, Amazon Firestick seems to have good reviews.

Las Vegas, NV

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options

I have a $25 Roku and a old fire stick. the fire stick UI is better but they do the same things easy enough.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2019
    Options

First, a quick Google search and I see lots of good reviews of Roku. I can't speak from personal experience because I do not own a Roku streaming device but if we just assume for a moment that the product is good, I would then try to rule out other likely suspects. One thing that can cause issues would be a firewall/router issue. Have you looked into ruling out your firewall/router?

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I have three units and it's built in to 3 TCL TVs I have (although two of them are only used as monitors). Rarely ever have I ever had a single problem from them. Probably the most reliable devices I have ever had. Never had one die, either. I think you and Roku are just not meant to be, sadly.

Options

I have a couple Roku stick/Express in my house of different versions and all work fine. Because you are having issues with multiple units and multiple versions I would think it must be something else but I'm not techy enough to know what, sorry. I know mine were pretty wonky when I didn't use the separate power cord. Are you powering yours from the USB port or the separate power cord? Once I started powering them with the cord/power brick all stability problems went away for me.

As another option I would go with Fire stick/tv or nVidia Shield personally. Rumor is a new Shield is coming soon so I would wait for that though.