Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Pizza!

Options

Nothing like pizza on a cool night. Shots of the set up area, pizza construction, cooking and random slices. I did this on my medium @ 600 degrees. I removed my SmokeWare top and used the bottom vent to control temperature. Placesetter feet down with stone right on top. I know some people elevate it, I don't. Each pie took about 7-8 minutes. When the top looks good and the crust is firm, she's done.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Pretty pies!

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Very nice.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options

Wow those are nice looking pies. Well Done.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options

Nice 'za. What was your dough recipe? And did I follow correctly that you have no air gap between the PS and pizza stone?

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options

MO_Eggin, I usually use the dough recipe in the Green Egg Cookbook - fast, easy and really good dough. But I used dough from a local Italian restaurant - totally on a whim I asked about it. Next time - back to the BGE recipe. And, correct, no gap between pizza stone and placesetter. Always done it this way and have never had a problem with overcooking the crusts.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Nice work. With that title, I thought you might've made a run to Little Caesers.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

The no air gap is interesting. Personally, I’ve never made pizza on the Egg I’ve been happy with. I’ve tried numerous setups all resulting in undercooked tips and burned bottoms. I’ve tried so many that I can’t recall whether I’ve done stone on PS with no gap. I think I have, but I may just follow your MO to be sure.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Air gap between the indirect plate and the pizza stone helps reduce crust burning. If you tend to burn your crusts, going to no air gap isn't likely to help you. Raising the pizza stone higher is the first response to burnt crust to get the balance you need.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options

Temperature may be another issue for burning the crusts. I typically cook between 550 and 600 degrees. Also, don't make the crust so thin that overcooking is a fait accompli. Or, likewise, the toppings so thick that it requires extra time to cook those.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options

Great looking pizza pies.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options

Great job!

Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Boo4
    Boo4 Posts: 8
    Options
    Got my egg last week and did my first Pizza last night - delighted. Just wondering about how to get rid of the burnt flour/semolina/polenta on the stone in between each pizza. Used the peel in the end but anyone got a brush or other solution?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Boo4 said:
    Got my egg last week and did my first Pizza last night - delighted. Just wondering about how to get rid of the burnt flour/semolina/polenta on the stone in between each pizza. Used the peel in the end but anyone got a brush or other solution?
    Blow it off with a copper pipe. Yup I’m literally full of hot air  :)

canuckland