Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hairline crack in my XL

Options
Goatsegg
Goatsegg Posts: 113
I was just out back wiping down my table and egg and noticed a crack down the outside of my Egg. I take really good care of this thing and it stays under a corrugated overhang. Has anyone had any experience with trying to get a warranty replacement for this part? (outside base) I had a plate setter crack about a month ago and took it up to the Lawerenceville store (HQ) and they replaced it, no questions asked. I'm hoping that's the case this time, too. I'm going to have to dismantle the thing to get it to the store, though. Any advice will be appreciated.
-The Goat
Marietta, GA
XL BGE

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You won’t have a problem. Call your store and ask if a picture emailed to them would work. I texted pictures to my dealer last year for a base replacement. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    My dealer accepted emailed pics for the warranty claim and he didn't want the old cracked base (Lrg)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I email a picture of my defect and they order the new part - no problem so far.  Just had a warrantee claim
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Goatsegg
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. My wife bought me the Egg as a birthday present and the store (Roswell Hardware, Roswell, GA) has since closed. I am not sure that I registered the warranty. I'll have to check. 

Thanks again for the responses.

-Bill
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you are close enough to HQ, I would do the same as you did for your plate setter.
    They will take care of you.
    Just keep your original recipes in a safe place .
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Happens all the time with the XLs. I'm on my 3rd or 4th base now, all covered under warranty of course.  Only annoying part for me is having to replace the gasket again and then re-do the alignment.   Hopefully by the time the next base cracks there will be a new band/hinge system so it's faster to get everything lined up!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Easy replacement that requires no more than a pick.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I think a lot of this depends on the dealer.  I had to take the broken base back to them.  They were cool and gave me a replacement based off a pic but were really persistent that I brought the broken one back 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I think a lot of this depends on the dealer.  I had to take the broken base back to them.  They were cool and gave me a replacement based off a pic but were really persistent that I brought the broken one back 
    Should only take pick.  Should.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Happens all the time with the XLs. I'm on my 3rd or 4th base now, all covered under warranty of course.  Only annoying part for me is having to replace the gasket again and then re-do the alignment.   Hopefully by the time the next base cracks there will be a new band/hinge system so it's faster to get everything lined up!
    Sorry to hear of your experience. I have two XLs and the base hasn’t gone out on either. One is about 8 years old. 
  • Goatsegg
    Options

I was able to get the base replaced at the corp HQ store. I'm going to take the opportunity to repaint the bands while they are off. I've got a little rust starting so I'm going to primer and paint the all of the parts.

Thanks for all of the advice. Much appreciated.

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options

I just replaced my XL base for the 3rd time. 6 cooks on it so far, burgers on tonight at 500 degrees, I hear a pop! Look down and there's a new crack under the base. This would happen right after I put the rutland on it.... replacing a 4th base is getting old.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • cookingdude555
    Options

@GoooDawgs , this seems very odd, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Any pictures of your setup? I have several eggs (two are XLs, but every one is in a nest). I’ve only had a base crack on one of them in ten years. How do you light, what kind of cooks? I’m not suggesting you’re doing anything wrong, just wondering what is common among the bases.