Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Vortex on the XL?

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Has anyone used the Vortex on the XL for wings? 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    cooking with the XL I can't see any advantage to buying/using the Vortex for wings. Depending on the temp you are trying to cook with, what advantage would you get over cooking indirect or raised direct depending on your goal?
    Or just pushing the lump to one side if you wanted semi duel zone cooking?
    What are you trying to get that you are not currently able do?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    Options
    I want to use it for chicken wings and legs. Read some reviews and it looks like it provides even heat around the grate.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I want to use it for chicken wings and legs. Read some reviews and it looks like it provides even heat around the grate.
    How is that so different compared to just using the platesetter?
    It's basically indirect heat.
    I'm all in favor of helping people on the forum spend lots of money.
    Are you not getting even heat now with platesetter or Adjustable Rig, or some kind of raised grid to cook raised direct?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have, it works.  I call my XLs my ceramic kettles because you can cook exactly like a kettle, only with ceramic insulation.  I keep weber charcoal trays permanently in my grilling XL, they work like the vortex when pushed together.  I leave the vortex in the 26.75 kettle.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Agree with @cookingdude555 , Vortex turns an XL into ceramic kettle. Go for it!

Couple of contraptions I used/use, not Vortex but Vortex inspired...

Removed bottom of retired carbon steel wok... reverse seared char siu...

Unfortunately, the intense heat cracked the above old carbon steel bottomless wok.

Fortunately I still have three rings of stainless steel (varying heights) that I use frequent as lump reducers or straight-side Vortex clone.

Tandoori chicken started in the centre for the char, then finished outside till IT 175...

No need to mess around with platesetter and you get kettle style infra red.
    canuckland
  • dstearn
    Options
    Thanks, I will give the Vortex a try then.