Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

PSA: Check your thermometer

I've been using the BGE thermometer that came with my egg for about 6-7 years now. Recently, I noticed that the egg wouldn't go nuclear the way it used to. I tried adjusting the firebox, adding more lump, replacing the gasket, et cetera; nothing fixed the problem. Then the other week, I was at my local BGE retailer, and they had replacement thermometers. I picked one up, and wow - apparently, somewhere along the way, my old thermometer got screwy. Now, the vent settings are more predictable, the cooks are easier, and that big old 3 inch dial (my old one was a 2 inch model) is just plain great. Anyway, for those who have had your egg for some time, you may want to switch out your thermometer. It's a good use of 20 bucks.
Southern California

Comments

  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,726
    Yup
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 7,622
    Also check your nest and band nuts every change of the season. Guys too 
    Minnesota
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 9,119
    When things aren’t going great

    Go ahead and calibrate.    
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 20,203
    I will cal check my BGE thermos before any protracted L&S cook.  Takes all of 5 minutes.  BTW-they are always within 5*F of the boiling water value.  I even let the water temp drop into the mid 190's (measured by thermopen) and check an old analog (deep back-up) thermo-always within around 5 *F as well. 
    It's the instrument many of us run the BGE by-might as well have confidence in the output.  FWIW-
    Louisville;  "indeterminate Jim" here; L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • Have any of you had the thermometer stick at a temp and not advance? I was doing a pizza looking for about 500 deg. I put the pizza on and when I closed the lid the temp jumped up over 100 deg. I have since started tapping on the glass which quite often will advance the temp several degrees.
    Since its only 5 months old I may see about warranty replacement.
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 520
    I did recalibrate the old thermometer. That didn't fix the problem. I think that given enough time of cooks, including quite a few pizza evenings where the temp shoots up above 700 degrees, the thermometer eventually gives out. That's my feeling, anyway. 
    Southern California
  • 1911Man1911Man Posts: 239
    I'd also say to occasionally give your egg a full ash cleaning. I did that for mine yesterday. Removed all the charcoal from it (left over from the past cooks) and removed all the pieces from it. Used the old shop vac to suck up everything and there was a LOT in areas where you can't get with the ash tool. I'm hoping that the kick ash basket I have coming will help with this (I plan to use a bucket to shake it into) to help keep this down in the future.
    After the cleaning, it was easier to get up to temp and keep it there.
    BTW, what do you guys use to clean off the 'scale' from inside the lid? I've been using a gloved hand, but I'd like to do a better job of it. Without damaging the ceramic in any way.
    Egg #1: Medium BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan and Smokeware chimney cap.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 520
    Have any of you had the thermometer stick at a temp and not advance? I was doing a pizza looking for about 500 deg. I put the pizza on and when I closed the lid the temp jumped up over 100 deg. I have since started tapping on the glass which quite often will advance the temp several degrees.
    Since its only 5 months old I may see about warranty replacement.
    Prior to putting the pizza on, did you have the dome open for a long time? If you left the dome open for several minutes (like 5-10), then closed it, a sharp increase in temp would make sense. If, however, you had the dome closed and only opened it to put the pizza in, then the temp increase you described wouldn't add up, and you should look for a replacement.
    Southern California
  • CornholioCornholio Posts: 557
    1911Man said:
    BTW, what do you guys use to clean off the 'scale' from inside the lid? I've been using a gloved hand, but I'd like to do a better job of it. Without damaging the ceramic in any way.
    Balled up aluminum foil.
  • Hi @bicktrav
    No, I am in and out very quickly when loading the stone. As mentioned when bring it up in temp I tap on the thermometer face which will cause it to jump up several degrees. It seems like it is sticking internally.
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 520
    Hi @bicktrav
    No, I am in and out very quickly when loading the stone. As mentioned when bring it up in temp I tap on the thermometer face which will cause it to jump up several degrees. It seems like it is sticking internally.
    Yeah, sounds like you need a replacement thermometer.
    Southern California
  • ToxarchToxarch Posts: 1,844
    1911Man said:
    I'd also say to occasionally give your egg a full ash cleaning. I did that for mine yesterday. Removed all the charcoal from it (left over from the past cooks) and removed all the pieces from it. Used the old shop vac to suck up everything and there was a LOT in areas where you can't get with the ash tool. I'm hoping that the kick ash basket I have coming will help with this (I plan to use a bucket to shake it into) to help keep this down in the future.
    After the cleaning, it was easier to get up to temp and keep it there.
    BTW, what do you guys use to clean off the 'scale' from inside the lid? I've been using a gloved hand, but I'd like to do a better job of it. Without damaging the ceramic in any way.
    You will still get a lot of ash with small lump pieces with the KAB. You won't have any clogged holes though. I used to pull and shake it in a bucket. Now I just shake it a little in the egg and the use the ash tool. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

    Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,957

    BTW, what do you guys use to clean off the 'scale' from inside the lid? I've been using a gloved hand, but I'd like to do a better job of it. Without damaging the ceramic in any way.

    This is my cheap solution. I paid $.88 for this plastic dry wall knife used for spreading "mud". Then I merely put it inside my egg with the handle inside with just a bit standing out. Marked it with a pencil and then cut the shape.

    BTW no matter whose solution you care to follow I strongly suggest you put something inside the base to catch the crud you knock off! At least to me baking scrapped off crud which was already crud to start with makes no sense to me!!
    L, M, S &  Mini
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time

    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • 1911Man1911Man Posts: 239
    @RRP I'll look to get one of those plastic bits next time I go to a hardware store. I was using my large ShopVac when I cleaned it last time so it was all sucked away.
    To shape the tool, I'll probably just use the belt grinder that I also use when making blades. Should make short work of the plastic. I suppose I could take some of the plastic I have on hand and just make something that way. I have a piece of ABS plastic I got form a supply house a few years back. Can cut it (either by blade or bandsaw) and go from there. Actually, I might just do that since it means I won't need to get anything new. ;)
    Egg #1: Medium BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan and Smokeware chimney cap.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,957
    1911Man said:
    @RRP I'll look to get one of those plastic bits next time I go to a hardware store. I was using my large ShopVac when I cleaned it last time so it was all sucked away.
    To shape the tool, I'll probably just use the belt grinder that I also use when making blades. Should make short work of the plastic. I suppose I could take some of the plastic I have on hand and just make something that way. I have a piece of ABS plastic I got form a supply house a few years back. Can cut it (either by blade or bandsaw) and go from there. Actually, I might just do that since it means I won't need to get anything new. ;)
    The key word I picked up in your response was "blades". Tell me and the forum more!
    L, M, S &  Mini
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time

    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • 1911Man1911Man Posts: 239
    RRP said:
    1911Man said:
    @RRP I'll look to get one of those plastic bits next time I go to a hardware store. I was using my large ShopVac when I cleaned it last time so it was all sucked away.
    To shape the tool, I'll probably just use the belt grinder that I also use when making blades. Should make short work of the plastic. I suppose I could take some of the plastic I have on hand and just make something that way. I have a piece of ABS plastic I got form a supply house a few years back. Can cut it (either by blade or bandsaw) and go from there. Actually, I might just do that since it means I won't need to get anything new. ;)
    The key word I picked up in your response was "blades". Tell me and the forum more!
    When the weather permits, and I'm not too involved with other things, I forge blades. I do the full process here at home including the heat treating, tempering, handle crafting and making a sheath. Right now, my preference is Kydex for the sheath, but I can also make it form leather (not set up as much for doing leather, so it takes me longer).
    I have plans to make a helve hammer to make things easier/faster in the shaping stage. Plus allow me to get into making Damascus. There's some logistics involved there since it's going to be about 800# and I need to be able to move it periodically. I have some ideas in mind for doing that, so it shouldn't be too bad. Mostly involving making the base with wheels that I can then jack up and put some timbers under to get the wheels off the ground. That way the wheels won't get the force impacting on them, and then into the concrete slab of the garage.
    So far I've made a few blades for people (designed/made to order) and they've been happy. I know someone that said he wants a blade pretty much like one I made already, but I'm waiting for him to tell me he's ready to commit. I'm not going to invest the time in making it, if he's not serial. ;)
    Before I get to the point where I'm ready to do the next heat treat, I need to finish my new quench tank. Not much left there, just need to mask a small section and then spray it with bed liner to protect the steel it's made from. It will hold about 1-1/2 gallons of the quench oil. I decided to get real quench oil before I make any more blades.
    I have a large blade needing to be finished (about 21" overall) and need to shape a couple more as prototypes.
    I have leaf and coil springs on hand already to use for blades. Plus some O1 and 15n20 to turn into Damascus. As well as some 1075 that was given to my by a friend. All the alloys I have, and plan to get/use, can be quenched in one oil. Which is part of why I wanted to use these alloys.
    I'll probably pull the forge and anvil outside in the next few weeks (provided there's no snow melting on the roof, or sheets of ice in the driveway) and hammer out something. Or maybe just get the large blade to the point where it's ready to get hardened and get that part done. Then finish grinding on it.
    I'll really get into this when I get a house of my own. Where I'll have enough space to make better setup a shop. Of course, that will also include a good size mill and lathe. ;)
    Egg #1: Medium BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan and Smokeware chimney cap.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,957
    Interesting! 

    As a 74 year old son of a true blacksmith I always pick up on posts like yours! My late Father had his bs shop in IA. And yes he was also a farrier near the Amish community there. 

    I'm assuming that you - like me - watch the "Forged In Fire" show.

    Good luck with your craft and enjoyment!
    L, M, S &  Mini
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time

    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Reminds me a lot of my knife making days (80’s) when I was the mechanic/welder in a steam fired power plant.  I had a forge and about any tool needed in that plant shop.  Made some awesome knives and even some throwing tomahawks that we used on our breaks (threw knives and hawks at swinging oak stumps by cooling towers).  Some fun times.  And I do watch “Forged in Fire” episodes!

    Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

    BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

  • 1911Man1911Man Posts: 239
    I watched "Forged in Fire" when it's on. It's one of the few things I actually turn the TV on for. To the point where I'm thinking about killing off the TV part of my service and just using the internet part. Get Hulu to stream History channel and get FiF without issue. I don't mind if I need to watch it the next day, or even an hour later. I just need to make sure my internet part isn't going to go up because I drop the other services.
    I'm in the IT field for my career. But I've also brewed beer (for several years, stopped since I'm not drinking at this time) and made mead. I have several batches of mead I need to bottle still (been bulk aging for some years). I like welding and making other things too. Plus making gunz. ;) Ordering parts for my AR10 pistol in fact (getting some ordered tonight and the rest of this week).
    I don't do any real woodworking. Well, other than shaping knife handles. ;)
    I might Cerakote some blades in the coming months. More to see how that works out than anything else.
    Egg #1: Medium BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan and Smokeware chimney cap.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • hvhunterhvhunter Posts: 29
    I was doing a cook the night, was aiming for around 400F.  I just happened to be looking at my glass, and saw it jump from 400 to 450. So I started tapping the glass, and I could get the needle to move. Then when flipping my chicken thighs, and closed the dome, I kept tapping the glass and the needle would move. It's only two years old. Will be heading out at lunch time to buy a new thermometer. 
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 5,170
    I remember when I first started egging some one on the forum suggested when using the place setter to have the place setter situated in a 10 o'clock 2 o clock and 6 o'clock configuration in that way the 6 o'clock ceramic shades and protects the dome thermometer.. Gosh reading this it sounds complicated, hope it makes sense.. :s Anyway this has served me well.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 25,141
    i dont use the thermometer any more, been years and years. never used one before the egg either
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 7,040
    edited October 11
    1911Man said:
    I watched "Forged in Fire" when it's on. It's one of the few things I actually turn the TV on for. To the point where I'm thinking about killing off the TV part of my service and just using the internet part. Get Hulu to stream History channel and get FiF without issue. I don't mind if I need to watch it the next day, or even an hour later. I just need to make sure my internet part isn't going to go up because I drop the other services.
    I'm in the IT field for my career. But I've also brewed beer (for several years, stopped since I'm not drinking at this time) and made mead. I have several batches of mead I need to bottle still (been bulk aging for some years). I like welding and making other things too. Plus making gunz. ;) Ordering parts for my AR10 pistol in fact (getting some ordered tonight and the rest of this week).
    I don't do any real woodworking. Well, other than shaping knife handles. ;)
    I might Cerakote some blades in the coming months. More to see how that works out than anything else.
    Interesting.  I'm just getting into Blacksmithing and have been taking some classes from a local shop.  The couple that run this shop actually won an episode of FiF (Master/Apprentice).  It's been a lot of fun learning from these two.  I really want to get my hands on an anvil to set up a small work shop at my office.

    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

                                                                                  -Umberto Eco

    2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.