Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Saver question for my brother-in-law

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Based upon our success for 14 years with our Food Saver my b-i-l bought one 3 years ago. He called today and said while the suction still works the sealer does not. He wondered if the 5 year guarantee would cover it. I said I don't know but give it a try.
In my heart I really doubt it, but then I decided to ask this knowledgeable bank of people! Anybody have any experience with FS claims?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I would assume the 5 year warranty covers the whole machine 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Really?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Really?
    YES - you don't know my b-i-l!!! He's tighter than bark on a tree! In fact it would not surprise me if he takes this claim clear to the top heap of FS ownership!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I wish him good luck Ron. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Really?
    I see your Really and raise you a WTH? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Really?
    I see your Really and raise you a WTH? 
    I’ll raise you to one WTF?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited February 2019
    Options
    3yrs into a 5 yr warranty... you’re on a roll tonight Ron 

• Mattman3969
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @bgebrent - I’ll see your WTF and give Ron the answer that Google was just dying to give him and his the answer BIL that  are sheltered from Google. This Google machine is your friend. The image below will allow Ron to use the landline to answer said question 

I’m guessing this phone number will answer all questions about their product warranty better than a BBQ forum.  

analyze adapt overcome

• jazimmerman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Based upon our success for 14 years with our Food Saver my b-i-l bought one 3 years ago. He called today and said while the suction still works the sealer does not. He wondered if the 5 year guarantee would cover it. I said I don't know but give it a try.
    In my heart I really doubt it, but then I decided to ask this knowledgeable bank of people! Anybody have any experience with FS claims?
    Have him check for a deformation in the gasket around the suction opening. I had a dent form in mine because I closed it for a while with one of the hoses laying in there. I was able to flip the gasket over and it works fine now.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Have him check for a deformation in the gasket around the suction opening. I had a dent form in mine because I closed it for a while with one of the hoses laying in there. I was able to flip the gasket over and it works fine now.
    Thank you! I will share that with him!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I don't know about the FS but my Weston came with a couple of extra heat sealing strips so one can easily replace it when it burns thru(?) or get worn out or something.
    With the FS it might be a similar replaceable maintenance item.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    There are there are online places that sell the foam gaskets, heating strip and heat resistant tape that covers the heating strip. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've had great luck with Food Saver in the past with warranty.  One time they sent me a replacement machine and by mistake sent two.  I called them and they said don't worry about the return, so I gave it to my son for christmas.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2019
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    Really?
    YES - you don't know my b-i-l!!! He's tighter than bark on a tree! In fact it would not surprise me if he takes this claim clear to the top heap of FS ownership!
    Why not, that’s what warranty is for.
    They count on lazy people not making the effort.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    He should just outright assassinate them on twitter.  That'll probably do wonders.

I hate it when you're 3 years into a 5 year warranty and the sealer stops working.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I picked up replacement seals for (vac side) my FoodSaver a couple of years back because I had stored it in the locked position. Since replacing those I make it a point to NOT do that (leave it in the unlocked position). I've had mine for at least 15 years now, and the only other thing I needed to replace was the host to use with the containers (or Mason jar attachment) since it broke due to fatigue. I did get some of the heat tape to replace what's there now, but have yet to need to. I got all the items (gaskets came two to a package) from Amazon.
    The seals come 4 to a pack, so enough to change them twice (complete change). The seal/teflon tape is a 30 foot roll. You can replace the tape on the FoodSavers for your community (or town) with that much. ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    1911Man said:
    I picked up replacement seals for (vac side) my FoodSaver a couple of years back because I had stored it in the locked position. Since replacing those I make it a point to NOT do that (leave it in the unlocked position). I've had mine for at least 15 years now, and the only other thing I needed to replace was the host to use with the containers (or Mason jar attachment) since it broke due to fatigue. I did get some of the heat tape to replace what's there now, but have yet to need to. I got all the items (gaskets came two to a package) from Amazon.
    The seals come 4 to a pack, so enough to change them twice (complete change). The seal/teflon tape is a 30 foot roll. You can replace the tape on the FoodSavers for your community (or town) with that much. ;)
    Sounds like an opportunity for @RRP to expand his business product line beyond Rutland gaskets - FS sealing tape.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    thetrim said:
    He should just outright assassinate them on twitter.  That'll probably do wonders.

I hate it when you're 3 years into a 5 year warranty and the sealer stops working.
    Better that than the suction. God help. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Sounds like a good opportunity for the BIL to embrace Google 

analyze adapt overcome

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Google can be slow on an AOL dial up.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Legume said:
    Google can be slow on an AOL dial up.
    I hear it's faster if you use the two soup cans and string.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).