Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

in the market for temperature controller

Options
I saw a previous thread with lots of talk about the latest and greatest, newest type of automatic blower/temp controller. 

I am wanting to get good controller, but there are so many options. Anyone have any recommendations for a good starter controller for long overnight cooks while I am in my bed?

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lot more options out there now, but Flame Boss 200 is what I use......the 400 is a "headless" version of that (no screen, one meat probe, everything contained in the fan unit and transmits to an app via wifi or the internet).  This is the most economical unit price wise.

The 500's should ship a week from tomorrow which is the new generation of the 300 (big 4 line screen, new mounting bracket, up to 3 meat probes w/ no need for y-adapters).  Also wifi enabled, and can transmit direct to the app or through the internet.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have the Flameboss 200 and love it. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    my own personal  observation has been that that the FB 200 system is not as robust as the Stoker. Head unit has been replaced has been at least once (if not twice), and probes have been replaced 2 or 3 times. Without particularly heavy use.

BUT, it's easy to set up, and their customer service has been absolutely stellar. Very helpful whenever I've called. Email responses within hours.  Even on the weekends or holidays. The manufacturer is a member here. No haggling with the customer about petty issues. All replacements have been free of charge. At least 1 probe replacement was possibly out of the stated warranty period. Stoker can't come close to claiming that level of service, from what I've heard from others. 

One example - I wanted to use a magnetic mount with my FB, and was concernde that the magnet would mess with the electronics. Emailed them, and the prompt response was that if anything went wrong with the head unit, they would replace it. No other questions asked (it worked fine with the magnetic mount).

I've been happy with the FB 200. Hit up @stlcharcoal for a good price. I would likely buy a FB system again for these reasons. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Cooked by first Smobot brisket last night while I slept. Came out really nice! I would recommend Smobot over a blower like FlameBoss. It only controls to top damper and can run on battery power if needed. www.smobot.com
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    After several friends saw my FB300 running my cooks (from my phone app), they also purchased Flameboss controllers.  None have experienced any issues yet, but I assured them that FB takes care of their customers!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    One that has always escaped me on why it isn't more popular is the Auber:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=654

It has wifi, app, all kinds of customization, backed by a company that has been doing this long before these new players came along, and just plain works.  I have two, and they are fabulous at controlling my WSMs, BGEs, and my electric smoker.  Competitively priced at $249 too.  I know the others work well too, the following is obvious.  I think Auber used to be a bigger player, but they were late the the wifi and app movement.  They have it now, and its awesome, but I think many people new to bbq or bges have never heard of them.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Cooked by first Smobot brisket last night while I slept. Came out really nice! I would recommend Smobot over a blower like FlameBoss. It only controls to top damper and can run on battery power if needed. www.smobot.com
    Another vote for Smobot - I like the simplicity and it works like a champ!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • flexfusion
    Options
    SMOBOT......it's the best out there!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited February 2019
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I vote smobot but I have never used anything else. I like the way it works with the egg, also if you have a problem the owner of the company will answer the phone when you call 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i would go with Flame boss, i have the 300 the 500 looks pretty solid and there is almost no better customer service out there.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=654

It has wifi, app, all kinds of customization, backed by a company that has been doing this long before these new players came along, and just plain works.  I have two, and they are fabulous at controlling my WSMs, BGEs, and my electric smoker.  Competitively priced at $249 too.  I know the others work well too, the following is obvious.  I think Auber used to be a bigger player, but they were late the the wifi and app movement.  They have it now, and its awesome, but I think many people new to bbq or bges have never heard of them.

Just looked at these, seems like a good deal compaired to the other options on the market.   Thanks for the link 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• BigGreenKev
    Options
    I have the digiq and it works well.  It does tend to go through probes more quickly than I'd like.  I've had it for probably 4-5 years now.  That is my only experience with them.  It does seem like I go through less lump im my xl when I use it.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ima reach out to @stlcharcoal for a FB when I'm ready to buy.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Might be a good unit, but their page is a joke.  Makes me laugh when they make baseless claims like "Our [whatever] is better than competitors"  They at least put an asterisk, and if you scroll all the way to the bottom they're referencing the two Gurus and the FB300.

On theirs and the Guru, they link to a AmazingRibs review done on a WSM.  But on the 300, they link to some random blogger (whose friend wrote the review), then they didn't even use the meat probes.  Look at the graph.....they started the cook at 325F for an hour or two, then took it down to 225F for another 4??  That's what they're basing their review on?

Either way, that thing is $250 Plus $10+ to ship and has one meat probe.  You can get the FB400 or EggGenius for well under that, or the 500 for not much more if you want multiple meat probes.

• cookingdude555
    Options

Might be a good unit, but their page is a joke.  Makes me laugh when they make baseless claims like "Our [whatever] is better than competitors"  They at least put an asterisk, and if you scroll all the way to the bottom they're referencing the two Gurus and the FB300.

On theirs and the Guru, they link to a AmazingRibs review done on a WSM.  But on the 300, they link to some random blogger (whose friend wrote the review), then they didn't even use the meat probes.  Look at the graph.....they started the cook at 325F for an hour or two, then took it down to 225F for another 4??  That's what they're basing their review on?

Either way, that thing is $250 Plus $10+ to ship and has one meat probe.  You can get the FB400 or EggGenius for well under that, or the 500 for not much more if you want multiple meat probes.

You’re right, there are some marketing flubs, and that may be their problem. They are a temperature controller company, I don’t think they built their business on the back of smoker controllers. I can tell you mine keeps incredibly tight control of the temp in the cook, and when used in my egg, I set the fan output to about 10-20%. This keeps it barely blowing. It avoids the starve and blast method that many controllers employ for maintaining temps. I have nothing bad to say about the other options out there, I’ve never used them.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Most people here love the controllers they have, as long as they have not had problems. As an unscientific observation, most people have only owned and used one type, so that is what they know. Also, far more people comment when they have a complaint than when they have praise. All that said, my Flame Boss 300 has worked flawlessly except for the time I was deep into the wine and knocked out the fan. Oops. And to reiterate what many others have said, their customer service has been outstanding. 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Stoker is a tank.

Have a Gen I and a Gen III

I've had to replace 1 meat probe from the GEN I set up. I bought the GEN 1 in 2002 (used).
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I picked up the BGE Genius around two weeks ago after running my egg for around 10 years without a controller.  I have done several short cooks and one 10 hour cook and the Genius has held temperatures within several degrees of where it was set.  Connecting it to the internet was a little confusing, but I could have called Flame Boss which I have heard gives great customer service.  I can't speak yet of long term use, but I am very happy with the money I spent so far.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    Have a flame boss 100 and have had zero issues with it up until this last cook when both probes crapped out.  New probes ordered and should be back in business in a few days.  Have had this controller for years.  Should probably upgrade to the WiFi version but what the heck this one still works!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My opinion only. 
    I am in the “no wires club”. Bought two, one under $100 and one many times that. Ended up giving one away and selling the other. 
    I also don’t do any overnight cooks. Still eat brisket and pulled pork. 
    Life kept easy. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xbx
    xbx Posts: 8
    Options
    I just did a smoke with the Egg Genius and IT WAS AMAZING!!! I didnt have to do anything except obsess over trying to get it from 226 to 225 lol. Worth every penny. 

Also wifi enabled so you can follow along from anywhere and make changes away from your house. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    FB300 here. No complaints. There are lots of quality options out there. Review them all and buy what best fits your needs. You won't go wrong 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!