Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook

Options
so Monday is a big day, Mrs goes away for a very long holiday and our first BGE arrives. Have a long list of things I want to try but any immediate does and don’ts? I remember when we got her kiln that they said not to push temperatures too high for the first few firings and wondered if the egg was similar etc
London, UK

New LBGE Owner

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No problem on high temp. Think of all the a Egg Fests and pizza first cook. High temps is no problem. (IMO) after the first few cooks the temp will come down. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Grill or smoke anything you’re used to.  Keep it simple and have fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    I was cautious with my first egg. First couple cooks at low temps, etc.. 

Every egg after has been full throttle right out of the gate. No worries. Cook whatever you'd like.

And let's see the pics! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey from the other side of the pond.  Above all, have fun.
    There are a few very active forum members that reside in the UK and I'm sure they will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Last time I checked, the people who designed and made your egg recommended limiting the temp for the first few cooks.  You should read what the BGE folks say.  Your choice if you follow their recommendations or not.

I would recommend that the first time you fire up your new egg you not cook anything with it.  Practice temperature control.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Sandtree
    Options
    Many thanks all... told the egg will arrive in the next two hours. Somewhat regretting not having booked the "white glove service" having woken with a pain in the foot making the steps hard but the price was just crazy. 
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • Sandtree
    Options
    So... half way there setting up... got to the point of putting the bands on and according to the instructions (plus online videos) its supposed to have 22 screws of one length (white in the diagram), 2 screws slightly longer (orange in the diagram) and 2 much longer screws. I have the two much longer ones but have 25 bronze coloured screws? Have things changed? Assuming they are the longer ones will they work?
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Given your location, I would get back with the dealer regarding a reply as it may take a while here.  But asking from many sources can only help with an answer.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sandtree
    Options
    Unfortunately both dealer and distributor are closed for the day hence asking here. Took a punt and it seems to be all ok
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Please let us know how the first cook(s) turns out.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Take some time during the first few cooks to learn how to control the temperature. The other thing to do is learn how to light it. "stike" was the leading advocate for using a napkin with a little olive oil centered and once lit tent a couple of pieces of lump over the flame.

You can get caught up in all kinds of extras. Resist them for a while until you get a handle on the important stuff. Best of luck and this is the place to come to learn!
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....