Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Menu for a 3yo Birthday Party

My son just turned 3 and we're have his first real birthday party for him this Sunday at our house. The guest list is small, just 7 total including 3 kids age 3-5.

My plan was to cook two spatchcock chickens with the AR, one over the other and to switch places half way through. I was also thinking baked potatoes as thats super easy. 

Now I'm starting to second guess myself and wondering if I can't do better. The party starts at 3pm.

If you had a group like this for a party, what would you cook?
Mountain View, CA

Comments

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 7,112
    edited February 9
    Stuffed tenderloin. Easy and can feed a bunch of people

www.favfamilyrecipes.com/trishs-pork-tenderloin
    Minnesota
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 18,815
    For the adults of course.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HubHub Posts: 824
    Mac-n-cheese and fried chicken drumsticks for the kids.  Anything you want for the adults.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • dmouratidmourati Posts: 462
    I like the Mac-n-cheese idea. A quick forum search turned up Malcom Reed's recipe. Looks like a winner.

http://howtobbqright.com/2015/06/05/smoked-mac-cheese-recipe/

Mountain View, CA
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,722
    What dos your son like to eat?   Remember it’s his birthday 

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    It's tough getting an answer out of him. He just cruised over to my computer while I was looking up this recipe and pointed and said chicken so I'm at least in the ballpark with the menu.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 907
    I'd do pizzas
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 12,296
    Pulled pork is the easiest cook to feed a crowd that I can think of. We like to make sliders with Kings Hawaiian rolls. 

Or fajitas. 

And s’mores cones! Sugar cones, filled with a couple of marshmallows and some chocolate, standing in a popper rack or something. Egg until stuff gets melty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I’m with caliking on sliders. We did ham and Swiss ones for the super bowl and they were devoured by the little people. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 2,013
    Kids love pigs in the blanket, super easy and quick. Use those little party sausages and croissant role dough. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,106
    As above, whatever he likes for the 'main" course.  In the end, it's the cake and ice cream for the win.
    Adults can suffer thru. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • buzd504buzd504 Posts: 2,799
    edited February 9
    CPARKTX said:
    Kids love pigs in the blanket, super easy and quick. Use those little party sausages and croissant role dough. 

*Everyone loves pigs in the blanket.
    NOLA
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 4,038
    edited February 10
    CPARKTX said:
     They key here is to very gently handling the dough and don't squish or stretch it. Barely roll it. I've made way too many of these tasty morsels lol
    XL & Small Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, Pitmaker Vault, Blackstone Griddle, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, BlueStar 60" Range
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,736
    dmourati said:
    I decided on the following menu. Probably too much food but that's usually the case when I'm in charge.

Malcom Reeds Smoked Mac 'n Cheese

Pigs in a Blanket

One Spatchcocked Chicken with RUB CO. BBQ

One Spatchcocked Chicken with Jamaican Firewalk

Spinach salad with red onion, tomato, cucumber, and radish.

Dessert is an R2D2 cake with vanilla ice cream.

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it.
    Sounds like a solid plan, best of luck on the party.  I would like to add that Brent was onto something.  You may need to medicate with a few adult beverages.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
    The party was a success. Here are some photos of the goods.

Most importantly, my kid enjoyed himself and ate like a little king. Thanks for the help y'all!

Mountain View, CA
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 12,296
    That last bit is what makes it all worthwhile. Sounds like you nailed it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 2,227
    Some great work there!
    Stillwater, MN
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,736
    Nothing puts a smile on your face like watching your child or children enjoy things.  Sometimes I come home from work and it’s been a real $hit show, the moment Norah Grace gives me a hug and tells me about something that’s put a smile on her face my day is instantly better.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,383
    Nice work and congrats on nailing the event.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hans61Hans61 Posts: 3,692

Kids love tots
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf