Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT CHICKEN

Options
Direct of indirect and at way cooking grill temperature?  Thanks!
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I cook chicken raised direct or indirect high in the dome.  I like to cook my chicken/poultry in the 375 range.  2 things one put the legs and  thighs toward the back rt of the grill this seems to be a natural hotspot so it will cook a little faster.   Secondly It’s best to spatchcock your birds they cook more evenly.  If your up to it, remove the ribcage it makes a huge difference in the in even cooking.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Personally, I would never use a temp controller of any kind on a direct cook.  I would be afraid of damaging my temp probes.   If using the smobot, go indirect about 350 dome temp.  Use the search function and you will find a ton of chicken recipes/advice.  Good luck.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Personally, I would never use a temp controller of any kind on a direct cook.  I would be afraid of damaging my temp probes.   If using the smobot, go indirect about 350 dome temp.  Use the search function and you will find a ton of chicken recipes/advice.  Good luck.

I agree.  And I'll add that I have successfully cooked chicken both direct and indirect at anywhere between 250 and 425, with the sweet spot about 375 or so.  Higher in the dome is easier to manage, especially direct.

Chicken is pretty forgiving.  I don't really see the point of using a controller for chicken.
    NOLA
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Thanks guys....I meant to say "Spatchcock" but I guess we all make slips every now and then. I'm cooking a Spatchcock yard bird as we speak @325º and it's progressing very well.  Plan on pulling at 175º breast temperature.  Used my SMOBOT today.....first time direct with it and the Egg hung in the set temperature range all afternoon.  What a great device!
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Shawnodell83
    Options
    I do not use my smobot on direct cooks. Only slow and low cooks 
    Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
    Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II