Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Automatic barbecue controllers

Options
I probably don’t need one of these because the large BGE to me is 98% set it and forget it as far as holding temps go. But if I was to get a BBQ Guru or something like that, what’s the way to go? What’s known to be a good match for the large BGE? My eggs not too far from a receptacle so I prefer something ac powered over battery. 

Comments

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I like my flame boss. Don’t use it much unless it’s a cook under 275-300.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    I've been running a Guru for years now with no issues. Simple setup and great control. Only used for low and slow cooks. Great product in my opinion. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • jwallace83
    Options
    I've had the BBQ Guru for about 8 years now.  Works great especially for low and slow cooks.  However, I have had it spike in temperature a couple times but I think it's been my fault when I leave the top cap too open.  
    3- BGE’s  2(Large) 1(Mini Max) 
    1- Santa Maria Outfitters Pit 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the Guru, but it's just the oldest and most outdated of all the units.  You can get one with wifi and a variable speed fan for nearly the same price as the old non-wifi digiQ with the fixed speed fan.  Everything now is app based, theirs is an old 4 digit calculator display.
  • TexasisBestest
    TexasisBestest Posts: 122
    edited February 2019
    Options
    A few thoughts:
    1. Flameboss 300 / egg genius has variable fan vs the guru that's all on or all off
    2. Egg genius has app enabled and wifi. Do it from any device.
    3. Egg genius has settings to decrease your pit temp once meat is "done" to keep it warm. Automatically. Adjust pit temp on the fly and remotely.
    4. Egg genius has y adapters to manage temp of 3 meat probes plus the pit temp
    5. Egg genius tracks your cooks. Keeps history, notes, dates, times, temps, etc.

Having had BBQ guru, thermoworks smoke gateway and now egg genius, I cannot recommend the genius enough. 
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    A few thoughts:
    1. If you need a temp controller, trade in your man card, and your egg, and get a pellet grill. 

2. Who needs a battery powered temp controller when you can just buy a pellet grill and plug it in.

3. Trade in your man card again. 

I have a large BGE and have done overnights no problem.  IMO there’s no need for a temp controller on an egg. Get to know it a little bit. 
    NW IOWA
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    A few thoughts:
    1. If you need a temp controller, trade in your man card, and your egg, and get a pellet grill. 

2. Who needs a battery powered temp controller when you can just buy a pellet grill and plug it in.

I have a large BGE and have done overnights no problem.  IMO there’s no need for a temp controller on an egg. Get to know it a little bit. 
    Hear ya loud and clear. I’ve done a 23 hour brisket with maybe one or two vent adjustments. Just getting some feelers for what these controllers are all about.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I'd stay away from the new FB model that's app only and get the 300 with the physical controller.  I love FB but the app only version has not been reliable for my neighbors.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have no experience with the others that get positive feedback around here, but I do have a smobot and can say with certainty that it works very well. Other than just doing what it's supposed to, I like the simplicity and there's no fan to worry about.
    Stillwater, MN
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I really like my Auber controller. It works well with or without the app, and wifi control from anywhere is great. I like that you can program steps on what you want to do when the certain temps are met, or when certain time passes. I like being able to throttle the fan speed back so that it isn't so forceful on temp changes. A huge rush of air into an egg to bring a temp back up is not good as eventually you have to starve the fire to bring the temp back down. The main reason I went Auber was I had good experience controlling my electric smoker, and staying in the same app eco system made sense for me.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Fan could be a problem in cold weather, some users reported fan freeze up after few hours' operation. I shield my Stoker fan with styrofoam coffee cup to dodge the problem, have been lucky so far.
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    My vote would be for the Flame Boss. If you get one, ask yourself if you really need wi-fi or all that stuff. I've got the FB100 without all those bells and whistles and it works great and its on sale for $150.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i have the Flame boss 300 and its a peace of mind thing that i like.  i do alot of cooking when i am not at home and it allows me to watch it from afar.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Considering all I have read here, all of them seem to be pretty good and have their own followers. You will probably be happy with whatever one you buy. I bought a Flame Boss 300. I don't use it for every cook, but it is worth it to me to be able see what is going on from in the house and not having to open the grill and stick a thermometer into whatever I am cooking. Never had any problems, and I like having a record of my old cooks.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • TexasisBestest
    TexasisBestest Posts: 122
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    A few thoughts:

You've done overnights... That's nice. When you have 3 going at the same time and are consistently cooking overnights THEN let me know. 

Of course anyone can manage 1 cook here and there overnight without an issue, but we don't all use our eggs with the same frequency or purpose. 

There is nothing wrong using a controller to ensure you have consistent cooks and some data to work with for future adjustments..
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    I'd stay away from the new FB model that's app only and get the 300 with the physical controller.  I love FB but the app only version has not been reliable for my neighbors.  
    The 300 was discontinued in August, but the 500's should be out any day now.  It will be an upgraded 300......bigger screen, better mount, and multiple probe recepticles (no more y-adapters).

So far, I haven't heard many complaints on the 400......like the 300 and the 200's, most of the connection/wifi issues have been related to routers, not the unit itself.  Once they're connected, no more issues.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I sure like my Stoker!
    I have had them for many years.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    One cannot have enough bbq tools and toys. Regardless of ones needs...
  • Dollinger
    Options
    The Egg genius works well and it's nice to start your fire and be able to run to the store for last minute forgotten items and see / control while you are shopping. Because I can monitor the egg so well away from the egg, I would not use a unit with a local display because I prefer to see it on the phone. Also, The graph is helpful to see the rate of cooking.  You get three meat temps and the pit temp along with a helpful graph. It lets you know when it's done and automatically sets a warming temp so the egg cools off to it and holds. I like the Y adapters because it easier to plug in probes with the unit mounted.
  • Smoker317
    Options
    I have used the Smobot about a dozen times now and am quite pleased with the performance. 
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I just finished a 4 1/2 hour cook using my Guru CyberQ and it is terrific. I am not a dealer and have not used others, but this is not a dated unit. This new upgraded cloud based system is easy to set up and use, and the adapter fits right in the BGE for fan control. It calculates % of fan control to get up to temps which is their equivalent of variable speed control. There is a damper in the fan control that you cannot see when it is connected, which makes adjusting that a bit of trial and error. Documentation and support has been excellent. I don't know if we really need it for most cooks, but the ability to monitor esp when we get called away is well worth it for finished product.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    I have a stoked it works well. I agree a temp controller is a good idea. In Kansas it can be very windy thus causing sudden changes in pit temperatures. Ruining a few high dollar briskets and the price of the controller you choose will seem more than justified.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    So..

if if I want multiple meat probes, the chance for multiple grate probes, WiFi, and weather resistance...

whats the go to? 

I use the Smoke right now. It’s awesome. Looking for more versatility if I bite on a controller..
    thanks
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• TexasisBestest
    Options
    So..

if if I want multiple meat probes, the chance for multiple grate probes, WiFi, and weather resistance...

whats the go to? 

I use the Smoke right now. It’s awesome. Looking for more versatility if I bite on a controller..
    thanks
    Flameboss400 or egg genius. It turned my smoke with gateway into a paperweight. Lol
    Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    jeffc5227 said:
    I have a stoked it works well. I agree a temp controller is a good idea. In Kansas it can be very windy thus causing sudden changes in pit temperatures. Ruining a few high dollar briskets and the price of the controller you choose will seem more than justified.
    The stoker I meant. It is able to operate multiple probes and pits.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    So..

whats the go to? 

thanks
    The FB500 should be shipping this week or next.  Three meat probes, one pit probe (no need for more), a new mounting bracket, and a huge multiline display.  Should be pretty cool.  It's not water proof, but they're weather resistant......I just put my 200 under a pyrex plate.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I Have been very happy with my SMOBOT.  I like the simplicity of no fan and their customer service is top notch.  I can’t compare it to the others since it’s the only controller I’ve ever owned.  I don’t do a lot of overnights, but I love to be able to monitor and make adjustments when I’m at the grocery store or at work, etc. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • jeponline
    Options
    Powak said:
    Philly35 said:
    A few thoughts:

Hear ya loud and clear. I’ve done a 23 hour brisket with maybe one or two vent adjustments. Just getting some feelers for what these controllers are all about.
    I had been doing well with no controller.  Then during an overnight brisket cook, the weather turned and got rainy and windy, and was having to make minor adjustments to the daisy wheel about every 30 minutes. Bought a smotbot and have never looked back.  I use it for pretty much every cook under 350 and love the peace of mind.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL