Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Options
Picked up this piece a couple days ago.
Very little information on the actual quality but the price was right.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Interesting looking.
    Is it coated or is it bare iron?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks to be coated. I found lots online when I searched “Combekk Rails Dutch oven”
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks to be coated. I found lots online when I searched “Combekk Rails Dutch oven”
    Easy to buy them new online. Just no information on how good they really are. Yes, it’s coated. Kind of a matte finish. Think I like the smooth coated stuff better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If for use on the Egg, I’d recommend bare iron over coated. I’ve used my Le Creuset on the Egg a few times and the soot sticks big time. There are ways to mitigate against this (e.g., dish soap coating), but my bare iron is my favourite on the Egg.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Google tells me:
    "The enamel Dutch ovens and frying pan from Combekk are preserving Dutch heritage. Each piece is Dutch-made with recycled railroad tracks from Holland and is guaranteed to last a lifetime.

A Dutch oven is the kind of thing you only buy once, and we were impressed with the quality and authenticity of these. The iron is coated in
    stain-resistant enamel that boosts durability and keeps it looking good for years, and has an extra-thick base that encourages better heat distribution."

Seems they also make some from old prison bars.
    Neat!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Google tells me:
    "The enamel Dutch ovens and frying pan from Combekk are preserving Dutch heritage. Each piece is Dutch-made with recycled railroad tracks from Holland and is guaranteed to last a lifetime.

A Dutch oven is the kind of thing you only buy once, and we were impressed with the quality and authenticity of these. The iron is coated in stain-resistant enamel that boosts durability and keeps it looking good for years, and has an extra-thick base that encourages better heat distribution."

Seems they also make some from old prison bars.
    Neat!

I read the online pitch. Sounds good. Just no real independent reviews.
    The Prison Bars series is next if they stay in business.
    I did buy, on a drunken night through Massdrop, one of their leather aprons.
    Great quality.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    so not another pawn shop find?   =)=)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    so not another pawn shop find?   =)=)
    Lol, no, eBay make offer. Although it ended up not being what they advertised. They said it was the larger 6 quart with the built in temperature gauge. Even more unique so this was a little disappointing. But they worked with me on making the price right. I already had several CI pieces in this size range. Kinda a bummer, but still a nice piece.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like the oversized handles. Makes it easier to handle with mitts or gloves on. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    caliking said:
    I like the oversized handles. Makes it easier to handle with mitts or gloves on. 
    The dimples are also nice on the inside of the lid. Really thick bottom. Should heat real even.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas