Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Chef Norah Began

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532

This is how it all started....UDS was built for around $125 7yrs ago. I remember my wife telling me she didn’t want to glow in the dark, so we had to drive down to Columbus to get a “good” 55 gal drum.  It didn’t take long to build and the first cook came out better than it did on my old Weber OTG.  it’s hard to believe how little Chef Norah Grace is in this picture.   Who would have ever thought, smoking meat, would be a hobby I share with my daughter.  I’ve gone from being the Chef to now being second fiddle ( she tells me what to do).

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the history lesson.

How are you holding out?
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You’ve been relegated to sous chef. Lol. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks for the history lesson.

How are you holding out?
    Well I’m doing the work at therapy and home. Suffered a small setback the other day, had a muscle spasms and right leg went out. So I tumbled end over end down 8steps. Good news is I didn’t break anything, bad news is I am a little purple and hurting from the fall.  This isn’t the first time it’s happened but this was the worst fall yet.  Kind of scary.  Suposed to see the doc on Monday.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Brother, wow that had to hurt. Tough times right there for you. Stay positive and get many hugs from Ms Norah. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Talk about life-long memories.  You will have quite a collection as her hobby progresses.   
    And keep staring the medical community down.  Best of luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    You never know what you start inside them when you introduce them to an activity or what’s gonna grab them. If nothing else she won’t forget the incredible times she has spent. Huge points for supporting her and her interests whatever the outcome.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Great pic.  That fall sounds scary!!  Take care of yourself!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Dude! Be careful! We expect you and Norah at Butt Blast! You’re not gonna make it falling down stairs! 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Jeremiah scared the living daylights out of Norah when she herd the tumble.  She was so panicked, she was calling grandma and mom and everyone she could think of to help me.  I 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Dude! Be careful! We expect you and Norah at Butt Blast! You’re not gonna make it falling down stairs! 
    I think he is going to need an extra good parking spot. You should be able to assist in this area Jeremiah. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Glad to hear you made it thru.

May want to look into one of these.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Glad to hear you made it thru.

May want to look into one of these.

Have one, but can’t use it on the stairs.   I fell down them again this morning and now am in the ER waiting to be admitted.  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I think that it’s time to sleep downstairs for a while. The law of entropy, a state of higher(potential) energy always seeks a lower state.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Dude, be careful out there.  I agree, stay away from the stairs for a while.

Hope your OK with nothing too serious, but being admitted makes me think it's not a good situation.

Hang in there, bud!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    Options
    thetrim said:

Hope your OK with nothing too serious, but being admitted makes me think it's not a good situation.

Hang in there, bud!

This is just the fastest way to get my MRI and some additional testing done.  Nothing is broken, I just hurt, Dr says I’ll be having another back surgery soon because at this rate I’m going to end up in bad shape.  I’ll more tan likely have surgery Wednesday or Thursday of this week.  Going to go and remove the remaining disk at L4-S1 and fuse me from the front side.  This is a big surgery that requires Nuero, General and vascular to do it.   

Hope pe it turns out well there are some serious risks with this surgery.   Whatever happens, happens, it will be ok.  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    ryantt said:
    thetrim said:

Hang in there, bud!

This is just the fastest way to get my MRI and some additional testing done.  Nothing is broken, I just hurt, Dr says I’ll be having another back surgery soon because at this rate I’m going to end up in bad shape.  I’ll more tan likely have surgery Wednesday or Thursday of this week.  Going to go and remove the remaining disk at L4-S1 and fuse me from the front side.  This is a big surgery that requires Nuero, General and vascular to do it.   

Hope pe it turns out well there are some serious risks with this surgery.   Whatever happens, happens, it will be ok.  
    Prayers and good vibes for you ryantt
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers headed your way. Hang in there man
    Snellville, GA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Always remember you are your own best advocate.  Unfortunately you have too much recent history but push for answers especially when a medical professional tries to get you to answer a question that they own.  Hospital shift turnovers are generally weak (don't expect that just because you told your nurse on one shift it will get told to the next).  
    The transition between care facilities is even more problematic.   You can get good results but in my experience you have to push the issue(s).
    Take no prisoners and best of luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Eggcelsior talked to my wife and the house is going up for sale in the spring.  We will be building another home, this time a ranch.  I know that I’ve been lucky this far with my falls down the steps, but someday my luck will run out.  So no reason to keep tempting it