Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Stuffed flank steak - best cheese?

Dscott4305Dscott4305 Posts: 8
We’ve cooked these on our green egg many many times, but never super happy about how cheese either melts out or liquifies and disappears. Goal is for it to remain in the roll and remain as melted cheese. We’ve used provolone  and Monterey Jack (sliced fairly thin). Willing to try thicker slices but wondering if anyone in group would recommend another type of cheese. Thank you in advance for feedback. 

Comments

• I like smoked gouda or smoked havarti. Both hold very well to the heat and don't disappear.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 8,751
    Blue Cheese 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 9,296
    Feta.
    Austin, TX
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 4,062
    Blue cheese has worked great for me. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,582
    I'd stick with Monterey Jack, or go with the shredded Mexican cheese in the red bag (not the blend, the specialty stuff for quesadillas.)  That other Mexican cheese that's similar to feta would be good too.
  • freeze the cheese 1st maybe . . .
  • Grillin_beersGrillin_beers Posts: 1,327
    So many good cheeses and only one flank steak.  I did a goat cheese and fresh mozz stuffed flank steak last month marinated in Evoo and a bunch of fresh herbs.  Rubbed with some S&P and dried herbs before I grilled it.  It was really good but we lost some cheese. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • stlcharcoalstlcharcoal Posts: 3,582
    freeze the cheese 1st maybe . . .
    That won't help in a rolled flank steak, just need a firm cheese with a low moisture content.  But if you're mixing into a ground beef mixture, that definitely helps to keep it from sticking together and making a ball as you mix.  I also freeze mozzarella cubes/balls before I put them in this warm caprese pasta salad I make--keeps them from turning to bubble gum when the pasta goes in.
  • Thank you all...great advice
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 2,296
    Jack probably too soft and cheddar will separate. Gouda, Edam, Gruyer, something dense, but not hard like parm. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,088
    I buy the pre-made pinwheels and I cook them in the pan they come in. The cheese tends to bubble out the top. It is mozzarella. I happened to have some pics and this was sliced mozz, but I have also purchased with grated mozz.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker