Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for the group

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Norah Grace has a birthday coming up on April 1st.  She’s an amazing kid who helps out around the house without us even having to ask.  She’s into cooking as you all know and I was thinking about getting her her own knife set.   Any suggestions on a good knife roll.   If this is what we do, we will be getting her a few knives like I use.   I love my Dexter boning knives and slicer.  But neeed a good recommendation for a chefs knife for her.   Something smaller for her hand.   

Thaks is in advance for the recommendation.  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Can’t recommend a nice, carbon steel Japanese knife highly enough. Our Takeda super blue is the most cooperative knife I have ever used. 

• ryantt
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations that’s a nice looking knife.  Were do I find them. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    There’s a great spot here in Canada - knifewear.com. I think they ship internationally. Have a look. If going carbon steel (which I would highly recommend), you’ve got a variety of options, including white carbon, blue carbon and super blue (the hardest and most expensive of the bunch). Carbon takes a little more care than SS, but you can get them in SS-cladded varieties, like the one I’ve pictured, which greatly reduce maintenance. They retain their edge for what seems like forever!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Don’t know what you have locally for good stores. However I would encourage you to take her and let her just “test” them. Just tell her you need to pick up a small item and invite her along. Then gravitate to the knife counter. Make a day out and see what she seems to like. Now most chef knives have similar handles regardless of blade length from the same manufacturer, so a shorter blade for control, and let her feel out the handles
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Jstroke that’s a good idea.   As far as stores all we have is a bed bath and beyond and an Restruant  Depot 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I would suggest having her wear a cutproof glove for a while until she gets use to using such a sharp knife. Those little fingers are tender at such a young age. 
    Snellville, GA

• ryantt
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, she an exceptional young lady who has skills that surpass mine.  Makes me smile to see how well she does.  I terms of the knife do you recommend any specific brand?  

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    KAI makes a "my first knife" for kids.  It's a santuko with a serrated blade, rounded tip, smaller grip, and a sheath.

https://housewares.kaiusaltd.com/products/my-first-knife-5.25-sheath

Yeah the serrations kinds of suck, but it forces them to learn they need linear movement rather than just pressing down on the knife.  

I ordered a dozen and have about 8 left at the store.....just give me a shout if you want one.  Should be about $15 with postage.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Shun Classic is readily available and while expensive, isn’t stupid expensive like some stuff out there. Other than that, I’d recommend something imported from stores like @GrateEggspectations referenced. Those pieces are a like artwork to me. Find something that you think she’d visually fall in love with. Usage wise, they are all phenomenal. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @stlcharcoal just ordered Norah’s new BBQ shirt with the Buckeye BBQ logo on the front and on the sleeve is says Powered By ROCKWOOD.  she’s so excited I’ll post a photo when we get them.  

• ryantt
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I’m telling you she loves your charcoal.  She tells everyone at every event we go to to buy it.  Now we have the banner to setup in her station when we cook.   She’s so excited to get her new shirts.  Last nonuniform day at her school she wore her Rockwood hat and a Dizzy Pig shirt. 

no need to send anything.  I’ll look at the link and send you a pm for payment.   

We we are trying to outfit her “battle” box for when she and I cook at demo days or other events.  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @stlcharcoal just ordered Norah’s new BBQ shirt with the Buckeye BBQ logo on the front and on the sleeve is says Powered By ROCKWOOD.  she’s so excited I’ll post a photo when we get them.  
    Man if she's out advertising for me, then I'll give her that knife.....just take a look at that link and let me know if that looks good.

• Paul_in_Canton
    Options
    As a fellow Stark County resident I’d suggest a field trip down to Warther Cutlery (https://warthercutlery.com/product-category/knives/) in Dover.  Make sure you check out the museum as well.
    Large BGE, Cookshack Smokette, Weber Genesis Gold, and Weber Smokey Joe
    Canton, Ohio
    Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • ryantt
    Options
    As a fellow Stark County resident I’d suggest a field trip down to Warther Cutlery (https://warthercutlery.com/product-category/knives/) in Dover.  Make sure you check out the museum as well.
    Completely forgot about them. I’ve got 3 knives from them, which need to be dropped off for sharpening.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    sofgrip dexter russel, i would be looking at nonslip full sized handles for a first knife
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wusthof 6 in chefs knife at Chefs online for $59.99
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Awesome gift! I like that idea of letting her have the “my first knife” and grow into a shun. 

(Also I really need to make an apron that says “fueled by Rockwood and Buffalo Trace”)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I have a couple Takeda's and they are nice knives but I wouldn't recommend them as a first knife for a young person (or any person really) that is still developing their knife skills.
    Takeda's are generally sharpened at a lower angle than most Japanese knives. That's great for slicing some things but it also makes the edges more prone to chipping/breaking, especially if one does not already have good technique.
    There are lots of good, inexpensive knives out there that might be better suited for a first knife.
    I'd rather spend $50 for a first knife rather than $300 and spend the extra money on cookbooks or something else that would further her growth/education in this culinary track she is heading down.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ryantt
    Options
    @HeavyG I agree with the not spending $300 on her first knife.  I was just hoping to get a nice knife that would provide years of service and would be something she learned how to care for.   I think after taking to my wife and a few others on here, I’m going to go with @stlcharcoal recommendation.  

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My daughter had one of the “my first knives” when she was younger.  She’s since graduated to a Wusthof 5” chef knife that she’ll use 4-5x/week, either cutting veggies to roast or an apple to have as a snack with peanut butter.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Wusthof classics are high quality, easy to handle and maintain. They're available in many configurations for different tasks. Will not brake the bank and are fun to collect. 
    That's all you got?  :tongue:   :open_mouth:

Seriously, nice collection!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month