Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef spare ribs

What are beef spare ribs?  

I was at Fresh Market today, and they had a cut at the meat counter labeled beef spare ribs.  I’ve never seen this labeling before.  I assume they are similar to plate ribs and come from the lower rib cage.  Any insights?  

They looked good, so I brought a slab home.
Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Spare ribs come from the back, plate ribs come from underneath. Plate ribs are the ones sometimes called dino ribs.  Both are pretty good though. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    As with you, never have heard that term (I live a sheltered life) however, the first pic looks like back ribs but the second one more like shorts.
    I am confused and that is nothing new.  Regardless, trust the toothpick for the win and enjoy. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Slippy said:
    Spare ribs come from the back, plate ribs come from underneath. Plate ribs are the ones sometimes called dino ribs.  Both are pretty good though. 
    So not the same as spare ribs from a pig that come from the side/sternum area?  

Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    lousubcap said:
    As with you, never have heard that term (I live a sheltered life) however, the first pic looks like back ribs but the second one more like shorts.
    I am confused and that is nothing new.  Regardless, trust the toothpick for the win and enjoy. 
    Agreed - all I know is they look really nice, so I  am looking forward to the feast.  Btw, the pics are of both sides of the same slab
    Memphis, TN 

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Slippy said:
    So not the same as spare ribs from a pig that come from the side/sternum area?  

Not totally sure there really is such a thing as beef spare ribs. I never see them labeled that way around here. Sometimes plate ribs are just called short ribs...There is a lot of conflicting info about beef ribs that's for sure. I'm no expert, I just ask for plate ribs and go to town. Plate rib bones usually have flat ends on one side, roundish on the other, but it depends on which ribs you get. Now I'm ready to make some for myself.... 

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Dang @Slippy - that’s a fine looking rib in your picture.  Making me hungry for sure.  I think the term may be just a marketing scheme to sell beef ribs to a pork oriented customer base in Memphis.  Generally, we are very familiar with pork spare ribs, but not so familiar with various beef rib cuts.  Who knows, but I think they will cook up fine.  I’ll probably smoke them tomorrow since I have the MLK day off. 
    Memphis, TN