Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita meat

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited January 2019 in EggHead Forum
I was having trouble finding skirt steak and flank steak was more money than I wanted to pay for fajita night. So I decided to buy a flat iron steak instead. I'm assuming that when cut cross grain it will be at least as tasty as skirt steak and should even be more tender. Any opinions of right or wrong?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Flat iron steak is perfectly fine for fajitas.  Not sure about fiajitas though.  
  • RRP
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Flat iron steak is perfectly fine for fajitas.  Not sure about fiajitas though.  
    LOL ...okay!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Flat iron is perfect for fajitas.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BulletGrillHouse
    Options
    I like the marinated skirt steak from Costco, I do add some fajita rub to this as well.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I like the marinated skirt steak from Costco, I do add some fajita rub to this as well.
    I've never seen that before in Costco.  Then again....I've never looked.  Now I will.  Thanks.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it will be good, but I would slice it pretty thin. Flat iron doesn't have as well defined of a grain as compared to skirt, so it is more difficult to slice across and get those pieces that pull right apart. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I've never seen that before in Costco.  Then again....I've never looked.  Now I will.  Thanks.
    @GATraveller- I haven't seen those either. According to Instacart not available in my area (I am in Woodstock). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    @GATraveller- I haven't seen those either. According to Instacart not available in my area (I am in Woodstock). 
    Not available in Duluth or Brookhaven either.  There are sooooo many carnicerias near me it'd never be an issue finding skirt though.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TXSamIam
    Options
    I have used flat iron steak several times for fajitas, always turns out great.  IMHO a very underrated cut of meat
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    TXSamIam said:
    I have used flat iron steak several times for fajitas, always turns out great.  IMHO a very underrated cut of meat
    Could not have said it better myself. Flat Iron is a great cut if prepared correctly, if not it will be tough. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    RRP said:
    I was having trouble finding skirt steak and flank steak was more money than I wanted to pay for fajita night. So I decided to buy a flat iron steak instead. I'm assuming that when cut cross grain it will be at least as tasty as skirt steak and should even be more tender. Any opinions of right or wrong?
    How did it turn out?
  • RRP
    Options
    Woodchunk said:

How did it turn out?
    Thanks for asking.
    Quite well! Look at all that marbling! I put it in the freezer for an hour which let me easily slice it across the grain in 1/4" strips. The reason it is in 3 piles I just wanted to be able to brown all the pieces quickly rather than scramble trying to get all done at the same time.

Then I already had my onions, green and red bell peppers sliced and ready to go. Soft tortilla shells were warmed and refried beans spread on first. The meal turned out very tasty and I'll do in the future as well!

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like to use HEB prime or choice sirloin for this.  when marinated they are excellent and are much cheaper when on sale.  What used to be cheap steak to buy several years ag has become very expensive due to the popularity of these.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston