Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Question

Options
Going to pick up a tri tip today from my local butcher.  This will be my first attempt.  Do you have to reverse sear them or can they be grilled like a steak?

Thanks
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    You do not have to reverse sear. They can be grilled like a steak. I've found a good technique is to sear until you get the char you want. Pull it off and rest. Watch the internal temp after that. It may go up by 20 degrees or more. Then if needed, finish it off roasting indirect (or direct over a fire that is not raging). How thick is it? Good luck whatever you decide!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Let it rest on wire rack on the kitchen counter for 2 hours if you can.
    cook it raised direct 300-350 with @Nature Boy tips above. Will give it a nice crust/color.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    I always reverse sear Tri Tip. Cook until internal about 118 degrees. Pull plate setter when fire is roaring hot I sear until I get a nice crust and internal is about 128 to 130. Beautiful med rare and so tender. Rave reviews every time. Tri Tip is the best
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I love tri-tips. I reverse sear via sous vide. It's a big piece of meat. If Nature Boy says you can direct grill, I'd believe it. Either way, buy his spices. You'll be glad you did.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I reverse sear mine these days but used to grill them direct on my gasser before I had a BGE.  $2.88/lb right now at my local grocery store.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sadly they didn’t have them today. Will try again this weekend.  Will probably reverse sear since I will have more time. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I forward sear and then bring it up to Desired temp as a roast. Rest is very important with this cut.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sadly they didn’t have them today. Will try again this weekend.  Will probably reverse sear since I will have more time. 
    Now you have time to get the proper seasoning, dizzypig.