Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Try At Homemade Bacon

Options

This is my first try. but not my last. I used the Bradley Cold Smoke attachment and the A-Maze-N smoke tray. Pretty satisfied with this, I liked everything but the smoke used. I used hickory pellets from A-Maze-N, but the smoke didn't smell natural hickory to me. Next time I'll use either apple wood or maple for the smoke, perhaps a combination of the two. A fun project.
Tampa Bay, Florida

Comments

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Nice! what cure method did you use?
    Pratt, KS
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Nice! what cure method did you use?
    I used Prague Salt, kosher salt, brown sugar and some other dry herbs. 
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    I made one batch so far using hickory. Smoke flavor was good but it was just a bit salty for my liking. Think I'll try a little less salt and apple wood next time.

Woodbridge, Va.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Try desalting in an ice bath and potatoes before smoke 
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

Beautiful results! 

Be careful, or you will end up like me, with one of these taking up an entire cabinet in your kitchen...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• HarveyLytle
    Options
    Bacon looks good everyone. I used to make about 50 pounds per year. One heart event and that is out. I did like mentioned and found a slicer very reasonable. Makes all the difference in the world when it came time to slice it up. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Curious to know if you only cold smoked it, or did both hot and cold.  The methods I’ve seen say to cold smoke for several hours.  Then hot smoke at 225 until an IT of 145-150.  Then chill, slice and fry.

Is it true that curing, and cold smoking is the traditional way to make bacon? The curing process is typically enough to get rid of bacteria?  The hot smoke process is just to be safe? 

Please educate me! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited January 2019
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Curious to know if you only cold smoked it, or did both hot and cold.  The methods I’ve seen say to cold smoke for several hours.  Then hot smoke at 225 until an IT of 145-150.  Then chill, slice and fry.

Is it true that curing, and cold smoking is the traditional way to make bacon? The curing process is typically enough to get rid of bacteria?  The hot smoke process is just to be safe? 

Please educate me! 
    I'll preface my statements by stating that I'm a beginner too. Since I used pink curing salt (sodium nitrite) I just cold smoked it. It turned out fine, I ate some of it before and after smoking and it was good, not too salty. As I understand it, the smoking is not necessarily to preserve the meat, only to flavor it. Jack'sDad, I'm looking at electric slicers now.
    Tampa Bay, Florida