Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Cast Iron

Options
I went to dinner with the wife a day or so ago.    Part of my meal was served in a TINY cast iron pan.    From LODGE.

I got to thinking (very dangerous) that were I to have half a dozen of these or similar, I could make a meal for each guest or diner.

First from my brain cell was something like Stuffed Peppers.    But I know that's just a start.

Any suggestions for cast iron cookware OR meals to fix in that fashion?    Also, indicate if you're partial to direct or indirect method for cooking cast.  

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Miniature-Skillet-3-5/dp/B00OD818BA/ref=sr_1_38_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1547499076&sr=1-38-spons&keywords=lodge+cast+iron&refinements=p_89:Lodge&psc=1&smid=ATZ61JQHZC6XB

The Six Pack is only 32$ and saves a bit over 'list'.......

I can't find the little pan, which would be good for individual portions of Corn Bread, but the 3.5" pan is cool and
will hold enough entree for a single person, I think.

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    Options
    What kind dishes would you be making in it? If it's on the grill then definitely cast-iron. If not, the only down side is the maintenance. That's a lot of cleanup after dinner: hand-washing, drying, oiling etc 6-12 tiny cast iron pots. And if they only get used once or twice a year they can start to pick up off-flavors from the oxidation.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2019
    Options
    We have several sizes And shapes for single servingsThese are always on the grill when doing burgers, perfect for the egg topper
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I hate to throw cold water on the idea, but...  as was said, it's a lot of clean up.  You can clean and season 6 of those, or one 12".

Fwiw, I have every size of skillet, and only once in the last year have I used anything under a 10" size.  That was for a skillet kookie and I used a 5 or 6". 
    Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    More power to you, seasoning, prepping, cleaning and storing all the smaller cast iron pieces. I think it would be a one and done venture for me. I don't mind if my Cast Iron food touches. I'm sticking with my large pieces.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Here are 3 other sizes we have. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    If you don't mind the expense, Staub makes enameled CI oven-to-table serve-ware that are way less of a headache. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    If you don't mind the expense, Staub makes enameled CI oven-to-table serve-ware that are way less of a headache. 

makes a pretty table setting
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Makes an ugly credit card bill tho...  I just ordered their "Plancha" earlier today. I'm slowly replacing all my CI used for serving with enameled. 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I LOOKED at the Staub 'mini' lineup.    Beautiful stuff but SO Expensive.

If I were wealthy instead of just good looking?
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I have 2. Chocolate chip cookies with a scoop of ice cream! 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Woodchunk
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Begger said:
    I LOOKED at the Staub 'mini' lineup.    Beautiful stuff but SO Expensive.

If I were wealthy instead of just good looking?
    Most all of ours was bought on sale. Check Walmart and bed and bath, kohls, and bjs