Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boneless Prime Rib Roast

Options

Picked up a 5 1/2 lb. roast from our local butcher and cooked it yesterday. Below is a sequence of events.

• 1:00 PM lit BGE
  • 2:00 PM temp stabilized at 250 degrees at dome
  • 2:00 PM put roast on grill -  internal temp 47 degrees.
  • 3:00 PM - internal temp 65 degrees
  • 4:00 PM - internal temp 106 degrees
  • 5:00 PM - internal temp 140 degrees.

A 600 degree reverse sear, let stand for 15 minutes and then cut and serve.

A little better done that I would have liked, but, it still fell apart. I was very pleased. Things got busy around the house and no after pictures, but here are a couple of before.

Thanks for looking. I thought this might be useful to those planning a similar size cook.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Looks good.  Not sure what temp you were shooting for but I usually sear when the internal gets to about 125-130.  We like it a little more medium rare and the temp will continue to rise about 5 degrees or so when resting after the sear.
    XL BGE
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Looks good.  Not sure what temp you were shooting for but I usually sear when the internal gets to about 125-130.  We like it a little more medium rare and the temp will continue to rise about 5 degrees or so when resting after the sear.

I was shooting for 140 as most of the guests (including "the warden") prefer closer to medium....so I sucked it up and cooked it higher.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Stever
    Stever Posts: 11
    Options
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I think it looks great, I tend to stay away from prime rib because it's fatty but your cut looks rather lean and right up my alley. I cook a tenderloin every Christmas and my 85 year old sweet non-complaining mother in law likes it well done so I cut a hunk off just for her, and cook the other 10 people medium. 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL