Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cast iron

Do you guys find that you’re still picking up good flavor from the egg when cooking on a CI skillet?  Wanted to see if any of you felt that the cast iron insulated the food from any BGE flavor or if it was still worth using my Loge skillet on the egg instead of just using a stovetop for CI cooking. Thanks!

Comments

• blastingblasting Posts: 6,262

Hi and welcome.  Cast iron and your egg are a perfect match.

Phoenix 
  • WoodchunkWoodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 13
    No on short cooks, yes on longer cooks like a meatloaf, potatoes

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 850
    Yes with Chili. 

Michiana, South of the border.
  • dmouratidmourati Posts: 509
    It's worth it. I cook with the lid from the lodge double dutch oven all the time.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,337
    Use my cast iron Dutch oven all the time on the egg.  If you have enameled CI, I would wrap it in HD foil, to help keep it clean when in the egg. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • BGEChicagoBGEChicago Posts: 483
    Here is a great cook, I substitute 5 5 Qt, cast iron dutch oven instead of an aluminum pan, turns out great. 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,919
    If your searing in the CI your running hot enough that the egg will not impart much if any flavor.  I use my gasser side burner for this.  If your low simmering something like chili with no lid than yes your food will pick up the taste from ever wood you added.  

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BGEChicagoBGEChicago Posts: 483
    Here is a great cook, I substitute 5 5 Qt, cast iron dutch oven instead of an aluminum pan, turns out great. 
    Ugh... Here is the link:
    http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1866

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • JstrokeJstroke Posts: 2,296
    Things that retain moisture and or fat like the Chile, or I’ll slow simmer some chicken for Nachos with plenty of liquid/spice. kind of like a braise. Cornbread does well. Now I will use it for eggs and sausage in the morning but usually I’m firing up for other longer cooks of the day. Not sure I can tell the difference in flavor, but it’s fun.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 2,369
    Yes I made a pepper jack, chorizo, shrimp queso that was also smoked as per instructions for Christmas.
  • blastingblasting Posts: 6,262
    Use my cast iron Dutch oven all the time on the egg.  If you have enameled CI, I would wrap it in HD foil, to help keep it clean when in the egg. 

@mEGG_My_Day ;  When I use enameled on the egg, barkeeper's friend makes short work of the smoke staining.  It works good enough that I don't bother foiling.

Phoenix 
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,337
    edited January 14
    blasting said:

@mEGG_My_Day ;  When I use enameled on the egg, barkeeper's friend makes short work of the smoke staining.  It works good enough that I don't bother foiling.

Good tip - will be trying this - thanks 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 1,023
    @Que_Hefner I will say if you use CI on stove and egg make sure the grill is clean if not use foil under CI on egg. The mess from the grease is real.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Texarkana, TX