Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger blends?

Options
for those of you who grind your own meat what combination of cuts seem to produce the best burgers?  

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    I've always heard brisket flat for the taste and grain + skirt or short rib for the fat.  I tried it once.....big pain in the butt for burgers. 

Serious Eats has a few blends on there too......I think the one they settled on was brisket, sirloin, and oxtail.

Just keep in mind the blend depends on how you're going to cook them too.  I can't stand anything less than 85/15 for thicker burgers on the egg (ground sirloin, or if I can find it, extra lean ground chuck.)  But for a smash burger on the Blackstone, I go with 80/20 ground chuck.  Either way, I never buy "ground beef" no matter what the fat content, nor "ground round."
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    I have some that I ground at the end of last year. Brisket flat and chuck. About 60%b and 40%c. It's good but not where I want it. The next time I might increase the chuck.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I routinely grind chuck roast for burgers but have used boneless short ribs before for a little more decadence ;)

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI