Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - How to eat Balut

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
I've at least tried purt much any kind of food put before me, and have enjoyed most of them.  And after an AF career and much traveling, I've tried quite a few things.  One thing I've missed, so far, is "balut", which is a fertilized duck egg.  It's a Phillipino dish, said to be a male aphrodisiac.  I remember reading, believe it was in one of Anthony Bourdain's books, about him trying a similar dish, but it was eaten in a different manner, so it may have been from a different country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLS5H02dLXM&index=4&list=PLgBESEI2LUFusyQSe1EzJkV2511fwXa7D

Mmm-kay, I'm not going to go out of my way to try this, but if its offered to me, it'll depend upon my hydrocarbon consumption up to that point, we'll see.  Some of these "You're Eating It Wrong" videos on EweTube are entertaining, and I certainly learned a couple things about eating Indian food, too.
My attempt at a post-pelting Friday night thread.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They sell it here at the Hong Kong Market.  We call them "fear factor eggs".  
    I think I will pass.
    If the urge strikes again and the opportunity is there-it would serve you well to have a few cocktails.  I would say that prior to the current PC movement, if you rolled into the PI then you likely pounded a few , and not with any of the style above.  Slammed and the chased with several adult beverages.
    Of course, I flunked knife and fork school so this is all FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354

Jacksonville FL
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I had the displeasure of eating one of those vile things at my chief’s initiation in the Navy, stone-cold sober to boot. Never again. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    Well that is right up my alley. Spent much of my childhood as a dependent at Clark. Consumed many baluts courtesy of our flipina house girl. Fast forward to adulthood and 30 years in the Navy with many returns to PI along with the obligatory balut betting. I pounded copious quantities of San Miquel, Red Horse and Mojo gratis from unsuspecting squadron and shipmates who had no idea of my formative years
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    6baluts said:
    Well that is right up my alley. Spent much of my childhood as a dependent at Clark. Consumed many baluts courtesy of our flipina house girl. Fast forward to adulthood and 30 years in the Navy with many returns to PI along with the obligatory balut betting. I pounded copious quantities of San Miquel, Red Horse and Mojo gratis from unsuspecting squadron and shipmates who had no idea of my formative years
    So, does it taste like "that last piece of turkey with cold gravy"?   :s

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    "Because when you're eating Balut, you know you're eating balut!"    -Chris Rock
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited January 2019
    I'd try it after several drinks.  (And this is the internet @nolaegghead, don't get any ideas).
    NOLA
  • I don't think there is enough alcohol in the world to get me drunk enough to try balut. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group