Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Max Band Assembly

Options
Help! I’ve watched numerous videos and read some articles but I still can’t get my Mini-max bands to stay on. They keep lifting up from the bottom, I got new ones in today and I’m having the same issue. I do have a Rutland gasket on it if that makes a difference.
It tends to lift from the front or the left side if looking directly at the egg. 

Any suggestions @RRP or any other Egger’s? 
Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    The bands are moving on the dome?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    After tightening everything up. I’ll go to lift the dome and the bottom bands slide off. 
    Ive noticed when tightening the bottom bands like to slide up but I can’t figure out how to stop this from happening. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    A picture or 2 might help.
  • Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Did you put the flat headed screws through the upper and lower bands? Should be 4 each. I tightened mine rather tight and still have plenty of thread to go for stretching.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    Something doesn't sound copacetic. 

Are you tightening the band bolt to the point to where it is bending?

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    After tightening everything up. I’ll go to lift the dome and the bottom bands slide off. 
    Ive noticed when tightening the bottom bands like to slide up but I can’t figure out how to stop this from happening. 
    Had similar issue with 1st generation XL Base.
    The angle tapered just slightly so the tighter the band bolts were tightened the bands would pinch themselves off/slide.
    BGE replaced many years ago.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Options

Atlanta, GA 

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Hardware placement is same as mine. Are your pics after the bands shifted or after you tightened up? 
    York County, PA
    Mini Max 2018
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Hardware placement is same as mine. Are your pics after the bands shifted or after you tightened up? 
    The first picture is after the 2nd picture is before. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Can you shift the band up and down without opening the egg?  I had to snug up the bands and push down on the dome to get even tension.. I don't think the Rutland would give you too much more thickness to throw it off. Maybe the ceramic is tapered like Photo Egg stated.  For the amount of thread exposed on lower band, you should have had it tight enough.  You use ratchet and socket or the stamped wrench to tighten?
    York County, PA
    Mini Max 2018
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Can you shift the band up and down without opening the egg?  I had to snug up the bands and push down on the dome to get even tension.. I don't think the Rutland would give you too much more thickness to throw it off. Maybe the ceramic is tapered like Photo Egg stated.  For the amount of thread exposed on lower band, you should have had it tight enough.  You use ratchet and socket or the stamped wrench to tighten?
    The top band seems to tighten up like a champ. The bottom band even when fully tightened will come loose. I’m using a wrench. I can move to ratchet and socket but not sure if that’ll make a difference. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    Can you feel the band tighten?  That's why I used a 1/4 ratchet.  With that being said and the amount of thread being exposed, I would inspect your base closely.  I have the original bands and am not tightened down that much.  
    York County, PA
    Mini Max 2018
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yeah I feel and see the bottom band tighten. It just never seems to fully grip the base. 
    I’ll give the ratchet/socket a try as well. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Yeah I feel and see the bottom band tighten. It just never seems to fully grip the base. 
    I’ll give the ratchet/socket a try as well. 
    You can put an open ended wrench on the upper and lower sides of the band to stabilize it while you turn the nut.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Sometimes the band bolts strip from
    rubbing steel on steel. Once the threads are flattened they cannot be tightened pastvthe stripped thread. Might want to get a new bolt for the bottom if you think this is possible. You should be able to tighten and deform the bottom bolt similar to the top one. Just my hunch based upon experience. 

*************************************************+*
    Make sure the bolt is grade 5 if you get it from the hardware store in lieu of your dealer
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    rubbing steel on steel. Once the threads are flattened they cannot be tightened pastvthe stripped thread. Might want to get a new bolt for the bottom if you think this is possible. You should be able to tighten and deform the bottom bolt similar to the top one. Just my hunch based upon experience. 

Make sure the bolt is grade 5 if you get it from the hardware store in lieu of your dealer
    Looks like I’ll be headed to the hardware store tomorrow. I just tried reversing the bands and still ran into the same problem.  Might be selling a mini-max soon if I can’t figure this out.
    Atlanta, GA 

• pgprescott
    Options

Looks like I’ll be headed to the hardware store tomorrow. I just tried reversing the bands and still ran into the same problem.  Might be selling a mini-max soon if I can’t figure this out.
    Keep at it. I have very little issues with the MM. this is unusual. I assume you removed the lid for gasket work? Just make sure the bolts are grade 5 and not grade 8. Good
    luck. 
  • tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    I have personally assembled half a dozen of these little guys (certified beg "eggspert" haha) and have never had this problem. I m thinking it's a problem with the ceramics especially after you tried switching bands. Reach out to bge for a new lower, I'm sure they will take care of you. 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    tybenj said:
    I have personally assembled half a dozen of these little guys (certified beg "eggspert" haha) and have never had this problem. I m thinking it's a problem with the ceramics especially after you tried switching bands. Reach out to bge for a new lower, I'm sure they will take care of you. 
    Tried again on my lunch break today. 
    I can get the bottom band almost touching together and the bottom band still comes loose. No matter which band I use. 

Atlanta, GA 

• ColtsFan
    Options
    I'm going to say you have eff'ed up ceramics. I'd contact your dealer and see what BGE says. The base has to be wack given you've tried two sets of bands

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I'm going to say you have eff'ed up ceramics. I'd contact your dealer and see what BGE says. The base has to be wack given you've tried two sets of bands
    I think you’re right I’ll be emailing my dealer tomorrow. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• pgprescott
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Did it do this before the gasket change? Really odd. Are the ceramics clean of any solvents etc from the gasket cleanup? Just really hard to grasp it coming off the haunch when tightened like that. Do you have a second set of hands helping keep the bands aligned in place while tightening? 

I guess the dealer will will put in a claim for the base. I would ask for bands too just to eliminate all potential causes for the failure. 

Once fixed the little guy guy is a beast! 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Did it do this before the gasket change? Really odd. Are the ceramics clean of any solvents etc from the gasket cleanup? Just really hard to grasp it coming off the haunch when tightened like that. Do you have a second set of hands helping keep the bands aligned in place while tightening? 

I guess the dealer will will put in a claim for the base. I would ask for bands too just to eliminate all potential causes for the failure. 

Yes, the original bands and felt gave me some issues but once I removed the bands to replace the gasket it got worse and with brand new bands the problem still exist. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Yes, the original bands and felt gave me some issues but once I removed the bands to replace the gasket it got worse and with brand new bands the problem still exist. 
    I fought with my XL bands and base slipping up for over a year before I contacted BGE and they replaced my base. The band grooves in the base were not formed correctly and had a slight tapper to the top. Bands would not hold when they were properly tightened. They initially started to slip after my first higher temp cook and once I tried to snug them up it got worse.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    My dealer asked me to reach out to BGE directly to see what they say. I sent them an e-mail. Let's see what happens. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Kevinboatright
    Options
    It's been a week and no response from BGE.   Is this normal for them? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Call
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Call

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! 

I have a new Mini-Max being delivered to my local dealer that I’ll trade out for! 

Atlanta, GA 

• tybenj
    tybenj Posts: 58
    Options
    Any update on this?