Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - The new Henckels Twin 1731 Chef's Knife - Sorta OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
This video popped up on my EweTube video feed, and I was fascinated:

https://youtu.be/Z-4SJyIPiwE

Beautiful knife!  I've been using the Henckels "4-Star" knives, no rivets but with matte black composite handles (except my smaller chef's knife, which is now glossy black thru use).  Massacar ebony is very resistant to moisture (its used often on acoustic guitar fingerboards, which see a lot of temp, moisture, oil, and even metal wear (from steel/bronze strings)) and, as you can see, gorgeous.  
Other things I found interesting:
1.  Good history of the Zwilling Corporation
2.  Neat marriage between German engineering and Italian design; Porsches are of a similar heritage, and Nikons are a blend of Japanese engineering and, again, Italian design.
3.  I'm not totally sold on a glue-only attachment style, but getting rid of the rivets is nice.
4.  Also kinda surprised that they're built almost entirely by robots, until the final sharpening/honing, which was done by eye with no jigs!  
5.  My current 4-Stars will certainly outlast me, but if I win the Lotto, I could see upgrading to these; beautiful!  

...and a historical note on tempering:  There is a story of a famous samurai swordsmith in Japan, whose blades were legendary in their sharpness and durability.  Supposedly after heating the blade to a red-hot point, he would then plunge the blade through a slave to get the optimum tempering/hardness.  This was expensive (I imagine the screaming would get on your nerves after awhile, too) and they eventually figured out that blood had the same effect.  Then, just urine; finally, seawater (probably a good thing, don't think "Tempered with Piss!" would look so attractive on the packaging).   :)   

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Thanks for posting that! I'm a real fan of "how it's made videos". Granted they didn't reveal any trade secrets, but that's OK. Don't you wonder though what it sells for?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    You have a streaming video service for sheep? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the use of only glue to attach the handle. Most traditional Japanese knives rely just on a friction fit (and maybe a touch of glue) for traditional Wa style handles.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    450.00$

$450...OK...guess that sums up what Botch said...iffin I win the lotto! 
  • Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks for posting that! I'm a real fan of "how it's made videos". Granted they didn't reveal any trade secrets, but that's OK. Don't you wonder though what it sells for?
    Bein's I posted this on the intranet, the ads will probably start showing up on the screen in my car tomorrow morning...
    ...and I see from above, $450 for the chef's knife alone.  Glad I'm still liking my 4-Stars!  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice.  How do you think that handle would hold up in the dishwasher?
    Options
    If you put your fine knives in the dishwasher
    my gawd, I can't even finish this sen

• RRP
    Options
    LOL. 

At $450 I would be washing it with me in my shower! 

As a side note I have some nice Chicago Cutery with what appears to me comparable handle designs of no rivets, and super smooth finishing grinding for considerably less cost then $450.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yowza - didn't expect that to be priced at $450.
    Had to go to their website to see what they are claiming that might make that knufe so precious.
    One thing that made me chuckle:

"Years of work culminated in the ZWILLING wedge geometry that improves comfort and optimizes cutting technique. This innovative curved bolster is meant to be an extension of the hand, supporting the professional grip with thumb and index finger on the blade"

Funny, cuz their "innovative bolster" looks just like the bolster on my Misen knife which came out a few years ago. I will agree that it is very comfortable for pinch gripping.
    I figure if you're going to spend $450 for that knife you might as wwell go ahead and get the whole set for a mere $2400.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Options
     :o 
    (did I mention how much I like my current 4-Star set?)  

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL. 

At $450 I would be washing it with me in my shower! 

Ron, best use one of your cutproof gloves to cover your Wes Johnson if you wash this sucker in the shower. One slip and you go from Gandpa to Garandma...
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Nice video, thanks for posting. Looks like something I'd like to have..."i'd like" being the essence therein.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Doesn't seem worth the price until you hear the German accent of the Engineer.  Then, it's a steal of a deal.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Options
    Only $449.95 on amazon!

You're welcome
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95